PDA

View Full Version : Arroyo booed at Il Divo Concert

Fanny
07.01.23, 10:16 AM
Arroyo booed at Il Divo concert

MANILA -- President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo was booed and heckled twice by the audience during the Il Divo concert at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC) on Saturday.

The incident was the subject of text messages that circulated Sunday.

The text messages said Arroyo was booed the first time because she arrived late for the start of the group's concert. The second time she was allegedly booed was at the end of the concert when the audience was asked to remain seated -- as the protocol in events where she is present -- until after the President has left the hall.

But the crowd hastily stood up and started booing loudly while leaving the hall ahead of the visibly irritated President.

Press materials issued prior to the event stated that the concert at the PICC Plenary Hall on January 20 was supposed to start at 8 p.m.

A member of the audience clarified that Arroyo arrived at 9 p.m. and that the first booing happened when the crowd was told earlier on before the show that the concert was going to be delayed because the organizers were waiting for the President to arrive.

When Arroyo arrived, nobody stood up in customary greeting to the President.

The second booing -- although it was not as loud as reported -- happened when the crowd was told to remain in their seats until Arroyo has left.

"It was more of derision rather than outrage, because she was already an hour late and then she wanted us to wait again for her to leave," another present during the concert said.

Colonel Romeo Prestoza, Presidential Security Group (PSG) commander, said he was not present during the concert but was told that the President was on time. He said Arroyo left Malacaņang at 8 p.m. and arrived at 8:30 p.m., which is supposedly the start of the performance.

Prestoza said the President was not heckled by the crowd, but only perhaps by a few people who "do not understand protocol or have different political beliefs."

He said the concert proper ended at 10 p.m. and the President was back in Malacaņang at 10:26 p.m.

The operatic group Il Divo is composed of American tenor David Miller, French tenor Sebastien Izambard, Swiss tenor Urs Buhler, and Spanish baritone Carlos Marin.

Their third album, "Siempre," was released on November 27 and it features Il Divo's takes on classics including "Somewhere." Also featured are four brand new tracks: "Come Primavera," "La Vida Sin Amor," "Una Noche," and "Tell That To My Heart."

Saturday's incident was not the first time that Arroyo was booed during a concert. She was also heckled when she attended Mandy Moore's concert at The Fort in Taguig during the election period in 2004, when she ran for President.

The President, who then clad in black, was loudly booed by the youth during the concert as she spoke and announced the granting of a citation for the singer. She attended a wake somewhere in Makati City afterwards. (

samaritan2001
07.01.23, 10:45 AM
Good for her. She has a fascist governance. Her puppets are all ready to make lies just to persuade common people but they can't fool all f them.

Booing the president is not enough, she should be brought down from power. It is awkward to have a president like her. Hope this coming elections there will would change. Progress for the country and its people

Junilo
07.01.23, 05:28 PM
MANY FILIPINOS INDEED LACKING GOOD MANNERS, EVEN THOSE ELITE INDIVIDUALS DON'T HAVE PROPER MANNERS IN A MOST FORMAL OCCASION INFRONT OF THE FOREIGN GUESTS!!!! MGA PINOY IT'S ABOUT TIME TO LEARN HOW TO SHOW RESPECT TO THOSE WHO DESERVE TO BE...

jon2406
07.01.23, 07:37 PM
Share ko lang sa inyo,

Pulot ko lang sa ibang egroup!

This is an essay written by a Korean student I want to share with you. (Never mind the grammar; it's the CONTENT that counts) Maybe it is timely to think about this in the midst of all the confusion at present.

MY SHORT ESSAY ABOUT THE PHILIPPINES
Joyous Kim

Filipinos always complain about the corruption in
the Philippines . Do you really think the corruption
is the problem of the Philippines ? I do not
think so. I strongly believe that the problem
is the lack of love for the Philippines .

Let me first talk about my country, Korea .
It might help you understand my point.
After the Korean War, South Korea was one
of the poorest countries in the world.
Koreans had to start from scratch because
entire country was destroyed after the
Korean War, and we had no natural resources.
Koreans used to talk about the Philippines ,
for Filipinos were very rich in Asia . We envy
Filipinos. Koreans really wanted to be well off
like Filipinos. Many Koreans died of famine.
My father & brother also died because of
famine. Korean government was very corrupt
and is still very corrupt beyond your imagination,
but Korea was able to develop dramatically
because Koreans really did their best for the
common good with their heart burning with
patriotism.

Koreans did not work just for themselves but
also for their neighborhood and country.
ucation inspired young men with the spirit
of patriotism.

40 years ago, President Park took over the
government to reform Korea . He tried to borrow
money from other countries, but it was not
possible to get a loan and attract a foreign
investment because the economic situation of
South Korea was so bad. Korea had only three
factories. So, President Park sent many mine
workers and nurses to Germany so that
they could send money to Korea to build
a factory. They had to go through horrible
experience.

In 1964, President Park visited Germany
to borrow money. Hundred of Koreans in
Germany came to the airport to welcome him
and cried there as they saw the President Park .
They asked to him, "President, when can we be
well off?" That was the only question everyone
asked to him. President Park cried with them
and promised them that Korea would be well
off if everyone works hard for Korea , and the
President of Germany got the strong impression
on them and lent money to Korea . So, President
Park was able to build many factories in Korea .
He always asked Koreans to love their country
from their heart.

Many Korean scientists and engineers in the
USA came back to Korea to help developing country
because they wanted their country to be well off.
Though they received very small salary, they did
their best for Korea . They always hoped that their
children would live in well off country.
My parents always brought me to the places
where poor and physically handicapped people
live. They wanted me to understand their life
and help them. I also worked for Catholic Church
when I was in the army. The only thing I learned
from Catholic Church was that we have to love
our neighborhood. And, I have loved my
neighborhood. Have you cried for the Philippines ?
I have cried for my country several times. I also
cried for the Philippines because of so many
poor people. I have been to the New Bilibid
prison. What made me sad in the prison were
the prisoners who do not have any love for their
country. They go to mass and work for Church.
They pray everyday.
However, they do not love the Philippines . I
talked to two prisoners at the maximum-security
compound, and both of them said that they would
leave the Philippines right after they are released
from the prison. They said that they would start
a new life in other countries and never come back
to the Philippines .

Many Koreans have a great love for Korea so
that we were able to share our wealth with our
neighborhood. The owners of factory and company
were distributed their profit to their employees
fairly so that employees could buy what they
needed and saved money for the future and their
children.

When I was in Korea , I had a very strong faith
and wanted to be a priest. However, when I
came to the Philippines , I completely lost my faith.
I was very confused when I saw many unbelievable
situations in the Philippines . Street kids always
make me sad, and I see them everyday. The Philippines is the only Catholic country in Asia ,
but there are too many poor people here. People
go to church every Sunday to pray, but nothing
has been changed.

My parents came to the Philippines last week
and saw this situation. They told me that Korea
was much poorer than the present Philippines
when they were young. They are so sorry that
there are so many beggars and street kids.
When we went to Pasangjan, I forced my parents
to take a boat because it would fun. However,
they were not happy after taking a boat. They
said that they would not take the boat again
because they were sympathized the boatmen,
for the boatmen were very poor and had a
small frame. Most of people just took a boat
and enjoyed it. But, my parents did not enjoy
it because of love for them.

My mother who has been working for Catholic
Church since I was very young told me that if
we just go to mass without changing ourselves,
we are not Catholic indeed. Faith should come
with action.

She added that I have to love Filipinos and do
good things for them because all of us are same
and have received a great love from God. I want
Filipinos to love their neighborhood and country
as much as they love God so that the Philippines
will be well off.

I am sure that love is the keyword, which Filipinos
should remember. We cannot change the sinful
structure at once.
It should start from person.
Love must start in everybody, in a small scale
and have to grow. A lot of things happen if we
open up to love. Let's put away our prejudices
and look at our worries with our new eyes.

I discover that every person is worthy to be
loved. Trust in love, because it makes changes
possible. Love changes you and me. It changes
people, contexts and relationships. It changes
the world. Please love your neighborhood and
country.

Jesus Christ said that whatever we do to others
we do to Him. In the Philippines , there is God for
people who are abused and abandoned. There is
God who is crying for love.

If you have a child, teach them how to love the
Philippines. Teach them why they have to love
their neighborhood and country. You already
know that God also will be very happy if you
love others.

That's all I really want to ask you Filipinos.

(FOR THE LOVE OF OUR COUNTRY PLEASE
PASS THIS MESSAGE)

Alexander
07.01.24, 06:54 AM
Good for her. She has a fascist governance. Her puppets are all ready to make lies just to persuade common people but they can't fool all f them.

Booing the president is not enough, she should be brought down from power. It is awkward to have a president like her. Hope this coming elections there will would change. Progress for the country and its people

As a MODERATOR... I feel obliged to warn you. Though the forum states that we can talk about everything under the sun, meaning that there is freedom on what ever we say under this FORUM. But in behalf of the boards, I also wanted to state that your statement does not necessarily reflect the views of all board members or that of BUKAS PALAD MUSIC MINISTRY.

The above statement violates the CONDITIONS and REQUIREMENTS found in the RULES and REGULATION (http://www.bukaspalad.com/board/showthread.php?t=3) which deliberately suggest "flaming" statements against an individual, in this case the Head of State of the Philippines.

yankees_suck23
07.01.24, 08:49 AM
MANY FILIPINOS INDEED LACKING GOOD MANNERS, EVEN THOSE ELITE INDIVIDUALS DON'T HAVE PROPER MANNERS IN A MOST FORMAL OCCASION INFRONT OF THE FOREIGN GUESTS!!!! MGA PINOY IT'S ABOUT TIME TO LEARN HOW TO SHOW RESPECT TO THOSE WHO DESERVE TO BE...

I totally agree. Ang masama pa e, not only the foreign guests, but also the ones waiting to start the show. That's why they boo Gloria, she doesn't have good manners na dumating ng maaga. Kung maaga lang sana siya, hindi yun mangyayari.

As a MODERATOR... I feel obliged to warn you. Though the forum states that we can talk about everything under the sun, meaning that there is freedom on what ever we say under this FORUM. But in behalf of the boards, I also wanted to state that your statement does not necessarily reflect the views of all board members or that of BUKAS PALAD MUSIC MINISTRY.

The above statement violates the CONDITIONS and REQUIREMENTS found in the RULES and REGULATION (http://www.bukaspalad.com/board/showthread.php?t=3) which deliberately suggest "flaming" statements against an individual, in this case the Head of State of the Philippines.

Kuya Alex, as a computer student, I am urged to say this:

A normal, non-flame message may have elements of a flame -- it may be hostile, for example -- but it is not a flame if it is seriously intended to advance the discussion.
(Taken from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flame_war)

Maybe he needs to expound his points of view so that we may not be confused to call it a flame. Example, "Her puppets are all ready to make lies just to persuade common people but they can't fool all of them." He may have a point. Example, the value of peso against the dollar. The dollar also weakens in the world, that's the main factor for sure.

We don't hate people. We hate what they do, and I think that is also good, so that Gloria should realize that people doesn't really like her acts at all. It is not a punishment, it is a wake up call and realization. Kung hates ba natin yung tao, siguro patay na iyan si Gloria. Pero pinagbibigyan pa natin e. Marami pa ring nagsasabi "Bakit pa kasi pinatalsik si Erap." Pero there are things that cannot be undone.

Bahala na ang Diyos sa lahat ng bagay. He is the Divine Author. He will know what to do with Gloria, and of course, His people.

nargalzius
07.01.24, 10:34 AM
As far as what was raised regarding the topic's appropriateness on the board, I'm kinda on the fence - I really have no comment hehehe.

We do have the guidelines in general, but on the other hand BP has always been a group that supported the country's progress and well being (else why would we have songs like Freedom is at Hand, Daan ng Bayan, etc.) We all love our country and wish for the best for it. As such, it is inevitable that the government and politicians will be subject to the public's scrutiny (hence very strong remarks for and against them is pretty much expected)

So, I'm inclined to allow this sort of topic and discussion - or at the very least, leave it to the majority to decide whether or not such "sensitive" topics are to be accepted. I must stress however, that should these types of topics be accepted, everyone is encouraged to think 10 times before posting responses... and make sure that you are still polite at least to the other members that do not share the same opinion :) So with regards to the strong worded post, unless there's a member in this board that is directly related to the Commander in Chief and is severly offended by such remarks, then I say freedom of speech is still applicable here :)

Having said that, I for one am disappointed by the boo-ing. There's a time and place for everything. While the president may [or may not] deserve such disrespect, it is clear that Il Divo did not deserve it.

Even if the booing was clearly directed to the president, as a performer, I can sympathize with Il Divo in the sense that they probably were sorely disappointed in the crowd - that they chose to voice out their socio-political agendas in a place and time which was supposed to simply be for music and enjoyment. These people's actions destroyed the mood of the whole event.

Sir Michael
10.05.23, 01:18 PM
Exactly. The President's position as Head of State demands respect. The people's manners are not appropriate and it is very unfair for Il Divo.

Whatever the president may have done does not give the people a valid reason for doing that specially that the president is not the spotlight or the speaker of the event.

As such, it just gave a bad impression for the country in the eyes of Il Divo and the foreigners who are there.