PDA

View Full Version : Pilgrim's Theme (Best of BP Vol 2)

ejsegovia29
07.04.17, 03:43 PM
Yung chaplain namin sa school ay isang Blessed Sacarament Father (SSS)...kinanta namin sa class mass ang Pilgrim's Theme sa communion a few years ago. After the mass, sinita ako kasi hindi daw liturgical Pilgrim's Theme.

I don't know why...but since he's a liturgist, alam niya kung ano ang liturgical at hindi XP...so hindi na namin kinanta ulit ung song na yun within mass...

sjclc
08.12.27, 03:56 PM
It isn't Scriptural. However, it is based on the life of St. Francis Xavier, patron of missionaries.

Emerald
09.12.18, 03:21 PM
OT: GANDA din ng version ng hangad nito.. pero ok din sa BP!! they are both great.. ganda to sa mga camp kantahin

Sir Michael
10.05.20, 12:34 PM
It might be considered liturgical...

I believe the songs relays God speaking through your heart, and you answering that call and following that path He has set for you. And He is mentioned in the song:

"For Yours is the voice in my deepest dreams
You are the heart, the very heart
Of the greater scheme of things"

Sana ma-explain pa ng chaplain niyo his view on the song :)

Alexander
10.06.02, 09:35 AM
It is considered "Sacred Music" or "Religious" but not Liturgical, the reason is, the song does not correspond to a "specific" or "individual part" of the mass.

9. In selecting the kind of sacred music to be used, whether it be for the choir or for the people, the capacities of those who are to sing the music must be taken into account. No kind of sacred music is prohibited from liturgical actions by the Church as long as it corresponds to the spirit of the liturgical celebration itself and the nature of its individual parts,and does not hinder the active participation of the people.
- cf. Musicam Sacram No.9

Sir Michael
10.06.02, 12:23 PM
Hindi po ba pwede Sir Alex sa Communion/ Post-Communion part ng Mass ang Pilgrim's Theme?

Parang, sabihin natin in Masses for, uh, vocation seminars or in Masses where the liturgy's theme is to follow God's path?

It might kasi reflect din the liturgical action performed through its lyrics...

"Its [The Communion song's] purpose is to express the communicants’ union in spirit by means of the unity of their voices, to show joy of heart, and to highlight more clearly the ‘communitarian’ nature of the procession to receive Communion."
- Sing to the Lord 189

And Pilgrim's Theme expresses this unity with God's will saying that we will "follow the voice that calls within..."

Just wondering. I also want to know eh :D
What do you think?

titopao
10.06.02, 08:03 PM
@Sir Michael: Kung magiging mahigpit tayo sa mahigpit, the song in itself is NOT liturgical.

To reiterate a point I and other onliners have made in various posts: liturgical songs are also religious songs, but not all religious songs are liturgical. (Kumbaga sa set theory in Mathematics, liturgical songs are a subset of religious songs.) The category "liturgical songs" has a very limited scope, and thus would not automatically apply to all religious songs.

Under the strictest considerations, the only liturgical songs per se are really just the mass responses set into music (i.e. Kyrie, Gloria, Alleluia, Credo, Sanctus/Hosanna, the mystery of faith, the Great Amen, the Our Father and the Doxolo, and the Agnus Dei). This is because the lyrics of these songs are themselves part of the liturgical formula that we call the Holy Mass. Keep in mind the definition that Alex mentioned earlier, a liturgical song is intended to correspond with the nature of the liturgical parts.

(As a consequence, in order to meet the criteria for being a liturgical song, we are not allowed, ever, to change the words of these responses without prior approval from the episcopal conference...or at least, the vernacular translation, or the sense of what it says, should not stray from the original Latin, and the episcopal conference should double check that any such translations (the approved translations, in particular) should meet this standard. Let me reiterate: the episcopal conference only, and not the liturgist in your parish or arch-/diocese).

The other songs for the mass (such as the entrance, offertory and communion hymns) may be considered liturgical as long as they meet the guidelines (remember that word) set by the proper ecclesiastical authorities. This would normally mean that the song gained prior approval from a liturgical or ecclessiastical authority although, according to another reference I got, it is not ecclesiastical law, but tradition that was the basis for the criteria for entrance, offertory and communion songs. Usually, complete masses would have been pre-screened and approved by a local bishop, and hence most (if not all) of the songs in the collection would be considered liturgical because of this approval.

(Case in point: Ryan Cayabyab's "Mass for Peace" has the nihil obstat and imprimatur and even a recommendation from the late Cardinal Sin.) In fact, if you're able to get hold of the lectionary (the book that lectors read during the mass), it actually contains specific antiphons (verses) for these parts...which would effectively mean that, when you think about it, there should have already been a "mandatory" set of verses for the communion songs.

Note that in these instances, what matters is the purpose of the song with regard to the liturgy, not the meaning of the song. Hence, the necessity for it to fit in with the liturgical action it intends to accmopany. A song such as, say, "Ilikha Mo Kami" may appear to be in accordance with the spirit of repentance and may seem to be a good substitute for the "Kyrie", but does it fit in with the nature of the "Kyrie"? (Short answer: a definite "no". Unfortunately, I encountered one such mass when this song aas actually used as a subsitute for the "Kyrie" :( )

(The recessional song is a different matter because, whether as an oversight, inadvertent mistake or deliberately, no such guidelines were imposed on it on any liturgical document. Let's ignore it for this post at the moment.)

Anyway...as far as I can remember, "Pilgrim's Theme" was originally written to accompany a television documentary produced by the Jesuit Communication Foundation (and was later covered by Bukas Palad and Hangad). I'm not sure if it was specifically written for the mass (as far as I know it isn't), so it's a safe assumption to make that it was intended as a religious song but not as a liturgical song. This means that it may or may not be used as a communion song.

Let me repeat that: "Pilgrim's Theme" is a religious song but it is NOT a liturgical song---BUT I didn't say you can't make that a communion song either ;)

So...can you really sing it as a communion song? If you ask me, it may be, if the priest celebrating the mass or if the music ministry in your parish/arch-/diocese permits it, so it helps to ask around first.

But if, say, a priest permits it and you later got flak from the music ministry, then...who cares? You won't go to hell for singing a religious song :P

Sir Michael
10.06.03, 11:13 AM
Whoah :D
Daming info. Maraming salamat titopao at sir alex :)

Yun rin naman po ang point ko..

It might be considered liturgical...

That it may or may not be sung in Communion,
but now I know that Liturgical songs are, in the strictest sense, only the Mass Sequence Hymns.

Does that mean that we should describe songs such as Tinapay ng Buhay as NOT liturgical, but MAY BE sung in the liturgy? :D

Sir Michael
10.09.05, 03:22 PM
I found the original music video (sabi nung nag-upload) of Pilgrim's Theme from the documentary "In the Footsteps of Francis Xavier"

Ia_ZSiwweWM

You can also find parts of the documentary itself sa YouTube.
Here is one part where Pilgrim's Theme was used to accompany the documentary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpLmCfPb51E

mootboot12
11.10.09, 10:43 PM
Yes it may not be liturgical. Again, we have to consider the nature of the celebration. As a seminarian, I learn that this song is best fit for "Vocation Promotion" or Vocation Awareness. DITO LANG PWEDE kantahin kung ganito ang context ng Mass. Other than this, "inappropriate" na:)

ilujian_20
12.03.10, 08:39 AM
Parang nakakarelieve iyong kanta by itself na pinapaalala sa atin na, sa mundong ito, 'wag na 'wag kang mapapagod gawin ang mga bagay na gusto mo at kailangan mong gawin. Kasi, after all, lahat ng mga ginagawa natin are act of worship eh. Sumunod lang tayo sa agos ng buhay. 'Wag tayong bibitiw hanggang dulo dahil at the end of the race, here comes God, waiting for us to accept, trust and believe Him.