PDA

View Full Version : Question on Musical Arrangements of Mass Songs

reagan
07.12.21, 11:07 AM
Tanong lang po...

1. Are there guidelines on how should mass songs be arranged? Like, even if the song is considered liturgical, does the arrangement of the song make it inappropriate to be sung in the Mass. (i.e. If There's One More Gift as arranged by A. Zamora, we have reservations if we can sing it in the Mass because of the du-dut, dam-da parts)

2. Are there also guidelines on how specific Mass Responses should be sung? I've heard kasi some choirs who sing The Lord's Prayer, Lamb of God in a sort of upbeat style, minsan naman Pop. Point is, how should specific Mass Responses (Entrance, Kyrie, Holy, Memorial Acclamation,etc.. )be sung?

Salamat po.... :D

vic_romero
07.12.21, 12:15 PM
Galing po ang sagot na sumusunod sa dokumento ng mga obispo ng USA:

http://www.usccb.org/liturgy/SingToTheLord.pdf

Heto po ang mga katangungang kailangang tanungin.
Kung ang sagot ay "Oo" sa lahat, pasado ang kanta.
Kung hindi naman, ay hindi pasado.

1. “Is this particular piece of music appropriate for this use in the particular Liturgy?

2. "Does a musical composition promote the sanctification of the members of the liturgical assembly
by drawing them closer to the holy mysteries being celebrated?

3. "Does it strengthen their formation in faith by opening their hearts to
the mystery being celebrated on this occasion or in this season?

4. "Is it capable of expressing the faith that God has planted in their hearts and summoned them to celebrate?

5. "Is this composition technically, aesthetically, and expressively worthy?

This judgment requires musical competence. Only artistically sound music will be effective and endure over time.
To admit to the Liturgy the cheap, the trite, or the musical cliché often found in secular popular songs
is to cheapen the Liturgy, to expose it to ridicule, and to invite failure.

titopao
07.12.21, 06:08 PM
Tanong lang po...

1. Are there guidelines on how should mass songs be arranged? Like, even if the song is considered liturgical, does the arrangement of the song make it inappropriate to be sung in the Mass. (i.e. If There's One More Gift as arranged by A. Zamora, we have reservations if we can sing it in the Mass because of the du-dut, dam-da parts)

Salamat po.... :D

There is a grave misunderstanding on what constitutes proper lyrics for an acappella arrangement. For me, this stems from an overly literal interpretation of the letter of the law and with little understanding of the process of arrangement for choirs. (we might as well require unison-only, a cappella music).

The common conception is that all singers in the choir should sing the same lyrics all throughout the same arrangement of a particular song. However, a choir can, in itself, be its own instrument. This is why, even throughout music history, there are a cappella choral arrangements (some of them liturgical music) when parts of the choir are merely supporting the main melody/lyrics, which are the more pertinent parts of the music.

If you were to ask me, go ahead and sing it, on the understanding that in this situation, some members of the choir are acting as *the* accompanying instrument for the main melodic line---which has the more important lyrics of the song. Don't worry about the "dum dum" and the "du dut" parts, just treat them as though they were the notes of the accompaniment. Besides, in Fr. Arnold's arrangement of "One More Gift", the entire choir still gets to sing the chorus together :)

reagan
07.12.22, 10:05 AM
Ah, okay....

thanks for the inputs titopao and vic_romero... :)