PDA

View Full Version : "Learning Music" Talks

Carl(DM3)
08.02.21, 07:59 AM
Can one learn and master the music scores of a song in a day?
If Yes, How?

Junilo
08.02.21, 09:24 AM
it depends on a score arrangment, and the type of musical instruments you gonna play the score.
Every person differs in learning capacity with regards to Intelligence, attitude, and experiences.

Don't worry about being slow either, it's not how quick you learn, but how much time that you're willing to put into it.
Most of all, have fun with it. It's all about getting that warm feeling every time you play the musical score. A

Carl(DM3)
08.02.23, 11:47 AM
I need help in reading notes. Please help me. Please:(

Fanny
08.02.23, 01:18 PM
Take a lesson this summer. Start with basic rudiments.

chopinsky
08.02.23, 01:52 PM
yah.. enroll in the conservatory and take fundamentals in music course.. 10 days lang un this summer! if you are in manila.. i advise you to enroll in UST Conservatory of Music.. baka maging student pa kita..

lordz
08.02.24, 09:10 AM
i think it would be tough for me to learn. i can't even read notes, just chords.
i should start learning. long way to go.

qums
08.02.24, 08:12 PM
it depends upon the arrangement and the song talaga. kasi may mga mahirap na pagkagawa na music score.. pero if you have the interest and time talaga edi magagawa mo talagang mamaster ang piece..

titopao
08.02.24, 08:36 PM
Well, it depends. Let's itemize a couple of things:

1. The score itself. Since you mentioned "song", I'll make the simplistic assumption that you're trying to learn it either as a singer or accompanist (piano or guitar). And, to make it more simple, I'll assume that you're learning just the basic melody of the song (SATB arrangements excluded for now).

Anyway: You should be able to learn a score that takes up just a half-page in a day, perhaps even in an hour. In fact, one hour is too long, although you may want to come back to your score a few minutes later just to make sure you've memorized it. (The early editions of the late Fr. Hontiveros's songbooks can take as short as just a half-page per song.) Learning a song that short for, say, a full eight-hour day may bore you later on, though.

Trying to master a 150-page score in just one day is...well, it is possible probably if you're experienced enough. But if you're just starting out to read music, then 1 day is obviously not enough; it'll be like cramming for an exam one minute before the real thing. (Is there such a thing such as a 150-page song book that is actually used for performing purposes? Yes: piano-vocal scores of operas :) )

Scores for most songs may take from two to five pages, depending on the song length. How to attack a song depends on how you approach learning a piece. It may help if you can tell us how you try to learn a song yourself ;)

2. Your note-reading abilities. If you're just beginning to learn how to read, you will need lots and lots of practice before sight-reading will be just as easy as reading an article in a newspaper (that's how it is for me now). Don't lose heart: remember that when you were just a little child, you had to struggle in trying to make sense of letters as well. Remember: practice does not make perfect. To borrow from a singing coach, practice makes permanent :D

The same advice (practice makes permanent) goes with exposing yourself to (performed) music, this will help tune up your ears and be more receptive to music. That way, it'll be easier for you to pick up sounds and remember them as well. This is the same way with other skils such as doing algebra or driving your car: the more you do it, the more you become better at it :)

If you can demonstrate a good grasp of reading sheet music (and preferably got lots of practice reading notes, also preferably away from a music instrument), then good for you! Just keep doing it and don't forget to practice, practice, practice 8)

3. Your time. This is something that no one on the boards can answer for you except for yourself.

Do you need to learn this piece of music for tomorrow? For next week? For next month? For next year?

Sure, the question said, learning it in a day---but you should also ask yourself by when would you really need to have this song mastered. In other words, if the need isn't that urgent, why pressure yourself to learn it in a day? Why not in one week or two?

edmon
08.02.24, 11:24 PM
very well said! I totally agree with titopao.

God Bless!

Carl(DM3)
08.02.28, 08:23 PM
Thank you po sa mga advices ninyo. Naliwanagan na ang isip ko.

Carl(DM3)
08.02.28, 08:26 PM
Thanks but I need to learn it from my own home.

titopao
08.02.29, 08:38 AM
Thanks but I need to learn it from my own home.

Try this website, it has a downloadable version of the entire contents:

http://www.musictheory.net

(Note: your browser should be able to play Flash movies; if you can visit, say, YouTube.com and watch the videos, then that means you're all set for this website as well :) )

:D

bingo
08.02.29, 10:53 AM
nice site titopao, malaking tulong ito sa amin na gustong matuto...

montaro
08.03.04, 02:42 PM
hello,

ako po si montaro.
I'm an engineering student but i want to learn more about music. Practical applications.syempre particular sa voice. palpak pa rin kasi akong magbasa ng nota at mahina pa rin ang boses ko kahit matagal na ako choir. 'di ko rin naman magawang mag-self study.

Gusto ko sanang magextension program sa UP college of Music kaso mahal.:(.
any other possible options for me.?
can i take an extra subject sa Music kahit Eng'g ako?
or outside UP na mura or libre?
solfej,solfej po sana. hehe:)

titopao
08.03.04, 03:15 PM
Hi montaro!

Sayang, di tayo natuloy magmeet after ng "Wagi", I would have helped you then if you had your questions ready at the time :)

Anyways...na-try mo na ba sa others such as Ryan Cayabyab Music Studio or sa Yamaha? They can provide simlar programs to help you with this, although the rate would be more or less the same, if not slightly lower. Alam kong mga P5,000 may be out of your budget, but when you look at it, you're investing in something that will definitely help you in the long term.

Your choirmaster may also be able to help you, especially if he's someone who's very experienced. You may want to ask him or her for assistance if he/she is available and willing to help (besides, it's usually free :P )

If you want something that you can use at home, try visiting http://www.musictheory.net, it's an Adobe Flash-based website that you can use to learn the very, very basics, including an ear trainer to help you tune up your ears. Plus, pwede mong idownload yung buong contents ng website (mga 6MB ata all in all) so that you can use it in the comfort of your home PC even if you're not connected to the Internet.

With regard to taking up an extra Music subject, you might want to ask your university's registrar for details on how this is possible, although sa tingin ko most likely ang sasabihin din sa iyo is to take up extension classes instead. Try mo rin na maghanap ng isang music major na willing mag-provide ng tutorials for you for a modest sum; at least, natuto ka na, may natulungan ka pang nag-aaral, right? ;)

Hope these help :)
titopao

qums
08.03.05, 08:44 PM
hindi naman siya mahirap. but if your willing and have the interest.. you won't recognize you have spent a year already at alam mo na mag-read ng notes...

montaro
08.03.06, 01:14 PM
Thank you for transferring my thread. marami rin ako natutunan.

magkano ang rate sa UST and UP. Anyone? Voice po ha. Summer.

Salamat rin kay titopao

samaritan2001
08.03.06, 02:49 PM
yah.. enroll in the conservatory and take fundamentals in music course.. 10 days lang un this summer! if you are in manila.. i advise you to enroll in UST Conservatory of Music.. baka maging student pa kita..

Chopinsky kilala mo ba si Mrs Andres...

Alam ko teacher din sya ng conservatory of music sa UST

titopao
08.03.06, 04:17 PM
Thank you for transferring my thread. marami rin ako natutunan.

magkano ang rate sa UST and UP. Anyone? Voice po ha. Summer.

Salamat rin kay titopao

For UP, these are the rates for the summer extension classes:
12 half-hour lessons ((2x a week within 6 weeks) are currently at P4060
12 one-hiour lessons (2x a week within 6 weeks) are at P8020
http://www.upd.edu.ph/~music/new_acad_extension.htm

Yung sa UST, I have no idea (yet). (Prof. Chopinsky [of UST], can you help us here? :) )

samaritan2001
08.03.07, 02:14 PM
Try this website, it has a downloadable version of the entire contents:

http://www.musictheory.net

:D

Titopao thanks for the links...

I am learning anew

qums
08.03.08, 05:38 PM
wow!!!thanks sa website kuya!!!

montaro
08.03.08, 07:50 PM
For UP, these are the rates for the summer extension classes:
12 half-hour lessons ((2x a week within 6 weeks) are currently at P4060
12 one-hiour lessons (2x a week within 6 weeks) are at P8020
http://www.upd.edu.ph/~music/new_acad_extension.htm

Yung sa UST, I have no idea (yet). (Prof. Chopinsky [of UST], can you help us here? :) )

hahaha. ang tamad ko talagang maghanap. pasensya na titopao. anyway makakatulong din ito sa mga onliners. anyway, salamat ng marami sa website .:)

montaro
08.03.08, 07:51 PM
wahaha ang dami palang anyway. anyway, wala lang

pidjong
08.04.02, 02:01 AM
hello,

ako po si montaro.
I'm an engineering student but i want to learn more about music. Practical applications.syempre particular sa voice. palpak pa rin kasi akong magbasa ng nota at mahina pa rin ang boses ko kahit matagal na ako choir. 'di ko rin naman magawang mag-self study.

Gusto ko sanang magextension program sa UP college of Music kaso mahal.:(.
any other possible options for me.?
can i take an extra subject sa Music kahit Eng'g ako?
or outside UP na mura or libre?
solfej,solfej po sana. hehe:)

Bakit hnde ka humingi ng tulong sa conductor mo or sa ibang choir member ng choir nyo na may mas alam? I'm sure na tutulungan ka nila.

qums
08.04.15, 10:30 AM
mahal naman sa UP!!!
self study ka na lang.. hehehe..
magpursigi ka na lang magbasa ng notes...
but kung gusto mong mag-voice lesson, hanap ka na lang ng music shools, i'm sure marami namang music schools sa manila...

how about self study on the rules here sa board? click here (http://www.bukaspalad.com/board/showthread.php?t=3). i edited your post. please stop using text speak. - jon2