PDA

View Full Version : Pananatili

BP_fan23
08.06.01, 09:45 AM
is a religious or wedding song?

titopao
08.06.02, 08:30 AM
It's both :)

That's because Pananatili is based on the Book of Ruth. The lyrics of "Pananatili" were the same words that Ruth (ancestor of King David and also of Jesus Christ) told her mother-in-law. (You have to read the first chapter to understand the context of the lyrics).

The Book of Ruth has also been adopted into another song, but in English ("Song of Ruth (Wherever You Go)" by Gregory Norbet, an ex-monk).It's a staple of wedding masses as well, and has been covered by our very own Philippine Madrigal Singers in a haunting rendition :)

Of course, because of its lyrics, it's recommended that it's sung on wedding masses only (or, if you're not comfortable with that, during the picture taking) and not in ordinary masses. But if you want to use it as a love song or as the theme song of you and your special someone, then go ahead, no one's stopping you :D

titopao
08.06.02, 08:37 AM
Here's the original text, courtesy of the Vatican's website :)

Source: http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/__P6Q.HTM

Once in the time of the judges there was a famine in the land; so a man from Bethlehem of Judah departed with his wife and two sons to reside on the plateau of Moab. The man was named Elimelech, his wife Naomi, and his sons Mahlon and Chilion; they were Ephrathites from Bethlehem of Judah.

Some time after their arrival on the Moabite plateau,Elimelech, the husband of Naomi, died, and she was left with her two sons, who married Moabite women, one named Orpah, the other Ruth. When they had lived there about ten years,both Mahlon and Chilion died also, and the woman was left with neither her two sons nor her husband.She then made ready to go back from the plateau of Moab because word reached her there that the LORD had visited his people and given them food.

She and her two daughters-in-law left the place where they had been living. Then as they were on the road back to the land of Judah, Naomi said to her two daughters-in-law, "Go back, each of you, to your mother's house! May the LORD be kind to you as you were to the departed and to me! May the LORD grant each of you a husband and a home in which you will find rest." She kissed them good-bye, but they wept with loud sobs, and told her they would return with her to her people.

"Go back, my daughters!" said Naomi. "Why should you come with me? Have I other sons in my womb who may become your husbands? Go back, my daughters! Go, for I am too old to marry again. And even if I could offer any hopes, or if tonight I had a husband or had borne sons,would you then wait and deprive yourselves of husbands until those sons grew up? No, my daughters! my lot is too bitter for you, because the LORD has extended his hand against me."

Again they sobbed aloud and wept; and Orpah kissed her mother-in-law good-bye, but Ruth stayed with her.

"See now!" she said, "your sister-in-law has gone back to her people and her god. Go back after your sister-in-law!"

But Ruth said, "Do not ask me to abandon or forsake you! for wherever you go I will go, wherever you lodge I will lodge, your people shall be my people, and your God my God. Wherever you die I will die, and there be buried. May the LORD do so and so to me, and more besides, if aught but death separates me from you!"

Naomi then ceased to urge her, for she saw she was determined to go with her.

Compare Ruth's first few words with the first few lines of "Pananatili", and you'll notice how similar they are (with literary additions):

"H'wag mong naising lisanin kita, wala 'kong hangaring ika'y mag-isa."
("Do not ask me to abandon or forsake you")

"Saan man magtungo, ako'y sasabay, magkabalikat sa paglalakbay."
("for wherever you go I will go")

And also,

"Mananahan sa tahanang sisilong sa 'yo"
("wherever you lodge I will lodge").

:)

allen lucas
08.06.02, 09:33 AM
thanks titopao sa info, ngayon ko lang nalaman na puwede pala itong kantahin sa wedding.

BP_fan23
08.06.02, 05:34 PM
i see tanks for that titopao, i was just wandering why the church in my parish sing it as a communion last June 1,2008 mass

titopao
08.06.02, 05:56 PM
i see tanks for that titopao, i was just wandering why the church in my parish sing it as a communion last June 1,2008 mass

Hmm...that's unusual. ??? I don't think there's anything in last Sunday's readings that would justify the choice.

Sinumbong mo na ba yung choir na yon sa head ng parish music ministry or sa parish priest ninyo? LOL ;)

herald
08.06.02, 07:16 PM
thanks titopao sa info, ngayon ko lang nalaman na puwede pala itong kantahin sa wedding.

yup allen.. kinanta ito sa wedding namin 2 years ago..

allen lucas
08.06.02, 09:31 PM
hayaan mo herald sa wedding ko ipapakanta ko din ito.

titopao
08.06.02, 11:40 PM
Uy, nag-aminan na, so I might as well... ;)

Pag kinasal ako in the future (say, twenty-five years from now? :P ), gusto ko ring ipakanta ang "Pananatili" and "Panunumpa" in my wedding mass. I mean, bagay kasi talaga for weddings, akmang-akma para sa tema ng misa at ng sakramento ng pagiisang-dibdib :)

BP_fan23
08.06.03, 07:15 AM
Hmm...that's unusual. ??? I don't think there's anything in last Sunday's readings that would justify the choice.

Sinumbong mo na ba yung choir na yon sa head ng parish music ministry or sa parish priest ninyo? LOL ;)

yup its true nabigla nga ako nung kinanta yan sabi ko sa sarili ko bakit wedding kinanta nila buti kung ang gospel on that sunday is from the book of ruth pero hindi eh...

lenconstantino
08.06.03, 09:45 AM
yun choir namin pinakanta namin ito nung wedding ko sa pictorial hehe.. i love this song and also the flute part, maganda po. :)

titopao
08.06.03, 11:15 AM
Some vids to whet your appetite...bring your special someone with you while watching/listening through these vids :D

Pananatili (Hangad's Album Launching Concert in 1998)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cb4RlCKbqI

Pananatili MTV (from James Lim of Hangad)---most likely, some of you may have heard of this song through this MTV :)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=k00_DjDeAfk

allen lucas
08.06.03, 08:07 PM
OT: Im just curious yung guitar part kaya nito may available na tablature o notation? sinubukan ko itong kapain dati pero d ko natapos, medyo sumakit na kase ang ulo ko.

anok17
08.06.17, 08:50 PM
first ko 'to narinig n'ong second year high school ako,patapos na ng school year. i was hired by my teacher na maggitara sa kasal niya..inawit ng couple 'yon sa mismong kasal nila..hehehehe..ang ganda..kaya simula nun, nalagay na sa isip ko na pang kasal 'yon..

then, inawit namin 'to sa mini concert namin sa school (college na ako) to raise funds para sa anak na may cancer ng faculty dito. habang inaawit namin 'to, napaiyak ang isang kasama 1 sa mga kasama ko..

manoiskee
08.06.17, 11:19 PM
ito pinaka-favorite kong kanta sa mga kinakanta namin sa weddings, pangalawa yung panunumpa...

kinanta din namin ito nung nag free mini-concert kami last february sa parish namin, aku kumanta nung male solo part... ehem... frawd... lolz... :D

eduserusan
08.12.16, 12:19 PM
May special meaning sakin ang kantang ito. And sa unang pagkakataon pa lang na marinig ko, alam ko nang love song ito. The lyrics are really moving (to the point na kahit saan magpunta ang mahal mo, sasabayan mo)

Parang unconditional love din in a sense.:)

bobreyes
08.12.16, 12:24 PM
I started learning to play this song when my son Robyn was still in the womb of my wife. When Robyn came out of this world, listening to this song makes him fall asleep. A very nicely written song, love song indeed.

medtech
08.12.17, 06:54 AM
pede ba tong kantahin sa mass?

titopao
08.12.17, 07:59 AM
@medtech: Technically, pwede...but it's best to sing this only on weddings. The lyrics itself provide the best explanation ;) hehehehehe

medtech
08.12.17, 09:46 AM
salamat! now i know!!!:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

vinz_tabs
09.01.03, 09:57 PM
Excuse po.

Hello.

Love song po pala ito.

Ang dating po sa akin kasi Christ is with me at di ko rin siya kaya iwanan. Parang ganon.

in my heart
09.04.30, 04:28 PM
Dati kinanta namin ito sa kasal...gandan ng song... :)

yenzephyr
09.04.30, 05:26 PM
first time kong narinig to last year nung first time ko rin tugtugin. eto yung mga songs na unang dinig mo pa lang maappreciate mo na ;)

Alexander
09.07.29, 01:14 PM
hannie, your post on this thread is moderated as you merely copied that quote from the Hangad website (http://www.bukaspalad.com/board/Quoted notes from http://www.hangad.org/pages/ministry/recordings/songs.php?action=viewsong&song_id=00008) and is a violation of the copyright policy of this board. Please refrain from reposting information from other site. Links can be used instead