PDA

View Full Version : How to classify communion songs?

chopinsky
07.10.21, 02:27 PM
Hello everyone!

I'm a new member here. Just found this group in the google search engine. I'm glad there are such forums like these. I'm a member of the Sta. Teresita Parish Chorale (STPC) and also the choir trainer of the 615 choir at the Santissimo Rosario Parish, UST.

I'm looking for a communion song with theme of "bread and wine". Can anyone here recommend something? This is for Nov. 25 mass at Christ the King. Also, do you know where I could get the score of "Life Forever More" by Manoling Francisco? \

Thanks!

herald
07.10.22, 10:09 AM
Tinapay ng Buhay...

Alexander
07.10.23, 08:33 AM
Ito ang Aking Katawan by EP Hontiveros

chopinsky
07.10.23, 10:17 PM
thanks for the suggestions... we already know tinapay ng buhay.. pero ung "Ito ang Aking Katawan"... san book ko cya makikita? meron pa kaya mabibili na song book sa St. Paul or Paulines na meron un?

thanks again!
;->

cruzcarlo17
07.10.24, 12:18 AM
chopinsky, you might want to try Fr. Gboi Samona's Tinapay at Alak...

Alexander
07.10.24, 05:45 AM
thanks for the suggestions... we already know tinapay ng buhay.. pero ung "Ito ang Aking Katawan"... san book ko cya makikita? meron pa kaya mabibili na song book sa St. Paul or Paulines na meron un?

thanks again!
;->

Meron pong scores dito sa boards courtesy of Kuya G
ITO ANG AKING KATAWAN (http://www.bukaspalad.com/board/showthread.php?p=23432#post23432)

chopinsky
07.10.25, 12:52 AM
hello...

thanks for the suggestions... kaya lng i'm trying to download the file in the link you have sent.. bakit hindi ako allowed magdownload? i have been trying to download the scores available on this board kaya lng lagi ako denied... how i wish i could download the score you have sent.. need it very badly.. :(

chopinsky, you might want to try Fr. Gboi Samona's Tinapay at Alak...

where could i get the score of that? thanks! :)

herald
07.10.25, 12:38 PM
nasa songbook ni Fr. hontiveros yung Ito ang aking katawan...if i'm not mistaken...

cruzcarlo17
07.10.26, 12:22 AM
chopinsky, read the guidelines found in the "Others" section where requests for musical scores and midi files can be accessed. It has something to do with being a newbie here. I'll try to scan my copy of Tinapay at Alak. Will post it asap...

chopinsky
07.10.26, 12:37 AM
thanks for the tip..

i'll take a look on that... meanwhile, i'll look forward for your next post of "tinapay at alak"...

salamat po!! :)

awithandog
08.09.28, 03:43 AM
how to clasify that, that song is for communion?:):)

awithandog
08.09.28, 08:53 PM
sayo lamang, maari ba itong kantahin sa communion? saan cya mas fit kantahin? nalilito na ksi yong mga kasamahan namin... tuloy naging vice versa nlang ang kanta na to....:)

awithandog
08.09.28, 09:55 PM
vice versa nlang ang kantang sa'yo lamang, minsan sa offertory, kung minsan nman communion... pangunahing nag rereklamo sa amin ay 'yong organista namin kasi sa paglilipat ng pahina ng mga kakantahin nalilito na sya...:)

mark_chua
08.09.28, 10:34 PM
I learned before na ang communion song should be Christ Centered... kahit feast day ni mama mary dapat ang communion ay Christ Centered. Sa'Yo Lamang is more likely a communion. Vows ito ng mga pari sa ating Diyos. Hope this helps you.

titopao
08.09.29, 08:20 AM
First...I don't know what the heck you mean by "vice versa", but I hope that you first organize your thoughts and state your questions clearly, so that we'll be able to help you as best as possible. Bakit nalilito? Is it because kulang sa pondong kanta sa misa, or talagang hindi alam kung ano ang guidelines sa pagpili ng kanta?

Second...for your organist to complain that he's having problems turning the pages in the communion...don't tell me na tumutugtog sya sa misa nang hindi man lang nya pinag-aaralan/pinapractice yung pyesa nya ahead of time? :P

@jmark: kung yung General Instruction on the Roman Missal ang masusunod, walang basis yung sinasabing dapat ay "Christ-centered" ang choice of communion songs.

86. While the priest is receiving the Sacrament, the Communion chant is begun. Its purpose is to express the communicants' union in spirit by means of the unity of their voices, to show joy of heart, and to highlight more clearly the "communitarian" nature of the procession to receive Communion. [NB. it doesn't say "Christ-centered" or anything of the sort] The singing is continued for as long as the Sacrament is being administered to the faithful. If, however, there is to be a hymn after Communion, the Communion chant should be ended in a timely manner.

Care should be taken that singers, too, can receive Communion with ease.

87. In the dioceses of the United States of America there are four options for the Communion chant: (1) the antiphon from the Roman Missal or the Psalm from the Roman Gradual as set to music there or in another musical setting; (2) the seasonal antiphon and Psalm of the Simple Gradual; (3) a song from another collection of psalms and antiphons, approved by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops or the Diocesan Bishop, including psalms arranged in responsorial or metrical forms; (4) a suitable liturgical song chosen in accordance with no. 86 above. This is sung either by the choir alone or by the choir or cantor with the people.

If there is no singing, however, the Communion antiphon found in the Missal may be recited either by the faithful, or by some of them, or by a lector. Otherwise the priest himself says it after he has received Communion and before he distributes Communion to the faithful.

88. When the distribution of Communion is finished, as circumstances suggest, the priest and faithful spend some time praying privately. If desired, a psalm or other canticle of praise or a hymn may also be sung by the entire congregation.

Yung #87, although ni-adopt for the US dioceses, ay applicable pa rin sa Pinas not only because we have yet to come up with our own version of the GIRM with specific guidelines for the Philippines, but (IMO) because it mentions the Graduale Romanum, the official book of Latin chants in the Roman Catholic Church. I got myself a copy of the Graduale and it does not always contain anything about Jesus Christ. Merong mga songs na adaptations lang ng Psalms---and bukod pa yon sa responsorial psalm ng misa. (Hindi pa nga lang ako umaabot sa pages na tungkol sa Marian feasts or feasts of saints :P )

So among others, it's still OK to use Psalms (yung mga dating psalms na hindi na kinakanta sa salmong tugunan) for the communion song. Note na more than once ni-mention yung word na "Psalm" sa sections 87 and 88. May 150 Psalms sa Bible, so I guess hindi tayo mauubusan ng pang-communion ;) hehehe

nmerencilla
08.09.29, 05:36 PM
sayo lamang, maari ba itong kantahin sa communion? saan cya mas fit kantahin? nalilito na ksi yong mga kasamahan namin... tuloy naging vice versa nlang ang kanta na to....:)

Hello po sa aming paorkya we try not to sing the Sayo Lamang kasi daw po naging commecialize na daw yung song Kaya Kinakanta nalang namin yung song twing may kasal and at the same time kung babasahin mo yung lyrics ng song akma sya pang kasal :)

Tungkol namamn po sa appropriate songs for the communionn I suggest try to read first the readings of the day tapos intindihin mo ang message ng mga reading ganun kasi namin ginagawa yung mga line-up ng songs namin hope nakatulong ako hehehe :)

Alexander
08.10.06, 09:37 AM
I learned before na ang communion song should be Christ Centered... kahit feast day ni mama mary dapat ang communion ay Christ Centered. Sa'Yo Lamang is more likely a communion. Vows ito ng mga pari sa ating Diyos. Hope this helps you.

From what I've heard... The Liturgy itself is Christ Centered and not the communion only. Kaya feast days are not given priorities if it falls on a Sunday.

Ex. If the feast of a saint falls on a Sunday, the preference will not be in favor of the saint (including the Blessed Virgin Mary)

Dun lumabas ang argument na Christ Centered and Liturgy. If my memory serves me right, parang sa lecture yata ni Fr Nilo Mangusad ko yun nadinig. I'll check on the references and post it later.