PDA

View Full Version : Of Mods and Men


nargalzius
09.07.26, 11:06 PM
Hindi ako magaling sa mga ganito so bear with me; I've been trying to come up with a way to present my concern without inadvertently clashing with opinions. But the more I try to drill down into the details, scenarios, etc. I realized that there's no way around it; I have to mention something that I never really wanted to, or felt the need to mention... until now.

And before I start, I'd like to say that this is my opinion; I do not represent Bukas Palad's stance (which I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any hahahaha) on the matter

As much as what I'm about to say will sound very a**hole-ish, bottomline is that this board ultimately is "our (BP's) world" - at least as far as the internet goes. Our intentions were certainly to benefit the "communities" that form from it, our fan base, etc. But if you would strip all the idealism and stick to the plain facts; this board runs by our rules... and while we try (and will continue to try) to be accommodating, it's not really a requirement.

The reason why I hate to be doing this is because this "fact" while true, is something that needn't be "enforced" aggressively if the public is responsible enough. But it obviously isn't... which is exactly why I am saying what I'm about to say.

This board, is very lenient all things considered, but it is NOT a democracy.

The people I've entrusted the responsibility of executing these "rules" (and "exceptions") have been members of the community for a loooooong time, and I personally have seen and decided that they have no reason to abuse their powers. While I can go into details as to why I think this is the case, I simply will not justify the doubt people have of them. So in other words how's this:

I trust them, if you don't agree with me, then that's your problem... not mine, not ours, and should not be the community's. While we would prefer you stay, if you have some irreconcilable dissonance with how things are run here, then we won't blame you if you leave. But if you do stay, well, you should know it ain't you who's in charge, but US.

The best analogy I could give to explain our side is like an all-boys/girls school. While people can argue that "education" should be universal, it doesn't mean that those schools owe it to you to accept other sexes simply because your argument is "technically sound." And believe me, if we simply get technical in arguing, NOTHING will be accomplished - because both sides will never run out of things to say.

Now the moderators could certainly just thicken their skins (as I've told them) and be immune to such scrutiny, but the nature of the board and its members was never intended to be like that. This IS supposed to be a community dedicated to helping each other, praising the lord... and another vehicle for achieving BP's activities.

The majority has no idea how much internal debates moderators have on another moderator's decision. It's precisely because of this that I trust their decisions. If one disagrees with the other, they debate... if they haven't reached a decision, they ask me, and I give my input. They normally just follow based on what I say, pero they're free to veto my opinion if they think there's a better course of action than what I give. So I've personally witnessed this system work and while it's far from perfect, it does the job better than any "idealistic" setup that's just that; idealistic, but impossible.

People fail to realize that it's easier to simply rule with an iron fist without exceptions... laking bawas sa sakit ng ulo kung ganon nalang ang pag-screen ng mods sa mga posts... pero we all know how "cold" the atmosphere of the board will be if we did it that way. So what do we do instead? We make it harder for ourselves by making exceptions if we think it would benefit the majority.

So in case you didn't get my point: KUSANG PINAPAHIRAPAN NG MODERATORS ANG SARILI NILA para lang maging mas masaya ang nilalaman ng board. Para ang nababasa ninyo sa board ay mas matino kesa sa bara-bara nalang na post na nakakahilo na masundan. It really is a thankless job and they know it. And they know scrutiny will come with the territory, which is why they're still doing it.

Having said that, I really wish people would really cut them some slack.

If anyone that's disrupting the peace claims that they have the boards best interest in mind - I'm sure they mean well, but I can also say with certainty that they're going the wrong way about it by constantly challenging authority ESPECIALLY if the rest of the members have no issues with how things are run.

With regards to questionable posts being rejected or accepted. Here's what I think: While meron naman guidelines on what is ideal and perfectly acceptable, we try to make exceptions as well if we feel that it would benefit the community. BUT, make no mistake that when a person posts "questionable" content, it's 80/20 (80% chance of getting locked/deleted, and 20% left alone as an "exception to the rule"). And just because SOME posts made the 20%, that doesn't necessarily mean any other "questionable" post will fall into that 20%. I think this is where people misunderstand the whole situation; they feel ENTITLED to that 20% chance.

So if you're posting something like that... assume it will be locked, and BE THANKFUL if it isn't. But don't complain if it is. Or even better, how about you NOT post questionable stuff? There are so many topics that are active in the board, and you really have to fuzz about something that you could've avoided entirely.

Which is why IMPORTANT that people have their say at the recent stickies with regards to the rules and regulations. Just to be clear, the moderators and I will still decide ultimately what course of action to take, we're not really doing it because we intend to implement regulations based purely on what the people say... we are doing it because we are aware of our responsibility as authorities and would like to LISTEN to the people who are affected by the policies we make.

We are also trying to see exactly what issues are REALLY issues. You know what I mean? Sometimes kse very focused lang ang issue to a certain group of people, but nagkataon super vocal sila about it so mukhang malaki pero yung pala sila lang me issue. That's hardly a good representation of what's best for the whole community.

Me tendency kse ang mga arguments na magkaroon ng what I call the "UP tibak sickness." Where puro reklamo lang, wala naman talagang solusyon. Mas gusto lang nila maghanap ng butas para mukhang "tama" sila (which technically tama nga, kse madali mamuna), pero if they were put in charge, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be able to solve the problem (and still be in line with the "goals" specific to Bukas Palad and its online community) as well. I apologize if I offended any Maroon, but I'm first to admit na turn-off talaga mga aktibista ninyo. And the ultimate danger of such behavior is it kinda resembles trolling... because you start making a big deal out of something that isn't (or shouldn't be), and end up being the source of disruption yourselves.

The most "democratic" community I know would be the Digg userbase... and even Kevin Rose himself admitted that you sometimes have to accept the fact that people will disagree with you and you simply have to stick with your guns regardless. This board is nothing like Digg because I personally don't want to give too much power to the public in that sense - because puro gulo nalang aabutin natin sa kaka-disagree. I would instead prefer that we focus on things we agree in and further enrich the user experience that way. Like I said, the board's nature was not to be a forum for debate, but to simply be a place where we could gather as friends and have fun, praise the Lord, sing, share stuff, etc. etc. And while the occasional "debate" is healthy for our brains... I fail to see why it should be a constant source of headache in a place like this.

So there, I said my peace. To sum it all up:

This is NOT a democracy.
I trust the moderators.
"Exceptions" should be seen as FAVORS... NOT "playing favorites."
Unless you're sure that you represent the greater majority, think twice before you make a fuss. I do not enjoy having to step in to deal with these sorts issues, you do not want to get on my bad side (see #1)
While this is our "playground", this isn't the Hotel California; you can still leave if you don't like playing with us.
We are definitely open to suggestions, just make sure they're always constructive; give actual feasible solutions instead of rhetoric.
If you must push through with #4, make yourself available for discourse as well. You'd be surprised how moderators take the time to respond to people even in private. Kung "nagpaparinig" lang ang tao lagi... automatic in my book, mali na sila. Be civil, and TALK to the people you have concerns with, don't antagonize them, just talk to them (and make sure they could reply)... talking works wonders, promise.

Alexander
09.07.28, 02:37 PM
Which is why IMPORTANT that people have their say at the recent stickies with regards to the rules and regulations. Just to be clear, the moderators and I will still decide ultimately what course of action to take, we're not really doing it because we intend to implement regulations based purely on what the people say... we are doing it because we are aware of our responsibility as authorities and would like to LISTEN to the people who are affected by the policies we make.


In regard to this statement, I would like to remind everyone that we've set 31st of August as the date we lock these threads so make sure you have your say...

Have your say.... Guidelines in Requests: Other Media (http://www.bukaspalad.com/board/showthread.php?t=6033)
Have your say.... Rules on Promotional/Advertising Stuff (http://www.bukaspalad.com/board/showthread.php?t=6034)