PDA

View Full Version : Superstition: Believe It Or Not?

velpastrana
10.02.26, 05:34 PM
napakaraming superstition, dahil na rin sa kolonasyon sa tin ng mga Chinese (no offense meant po) pero dahil din sa mga ito nagiging maayos nga ba? o nagdadalawang isip tuloy tayo sa ating mga gawain sa buhay....paano naman ung mga bagay bagay na nagkaka totoo?? talaga bang pagkakataon lang???

titopao
10.02.26, 06:23 PM
San ba ako mag-uumpisa? :P hehehe

First...just a few minor corrections:

* The Chinese didn't colonize us (Limahong's attempted conquest was shortlived). It is true that the pre-Spanish barangays were trading with the Chinese, but that doesn't mean they were colonizing us back then. (I don't think you would call friendly trade relations with other cultures "conquest" because, come to think of it, if that's the case, the Philippines today would have been technically "colonized" not just by the Americans but by 100+ countries that have bilateral trade agreements with our country :P )

* Pre-Spanish Filipinos also have their own sets of superstition way, way before the Chinese came here (in fact, when you say "Bahala na" (=="Bathala na"), you're uttering a curse/oath that stretches from way, way back, which is derived from a belief in the animistic gods of our early ancestors).

* And finally (in connection with the previous paragraph), other cultures (especially those with religions that predate Christianity and Islam) also have their own superstitions...for as long as there are beliefs in the supernatural and/or the power of an omniscient/omnipresent being, there's a chance that there's a superstition too.

Okay, enough with the digressions :P On to my answer...

Ako, personally, I don't believe in superstitions now. Siguro, nung bata pa ako, madali akong mapaniwala sa mga pamahiin but that's understood. Pero as I grew up, I began to believe them less and less until I've completely lost any belief in them, even if the superstition is supposed to bring good luck.

You see, human beings have a knack for finding correlations on things that are merely coincidental. Especially if the correlation is strong, even if the association lacks solid evidence or explanation. A non-superstitious belief would be this: people have long believed that the Third Secret of Fatima was about the end of the world, and almost no one believed the Vatican when the then-Cardinal Ratzinger said it actually foretold an attempt on the life of a pontiff (of which its non-disclosure was understandable for security reasons). People still debate whether the Vatican was really covering up what was really revealed to Sister Lucia, but at any rate, this shows that it is but natural for us to let our brain go on idle mode and just let what our senses tell us assume the semblance of truth (or strong belief bordering on the superstitious). That's why we still get a lot of those 9/11 conspiracy theoriesm, even those that claim the Bible and Nostradamus predicted it.

Superstitions, especially the old/ancient ones, were borne out of situations when people's understanding of the world was "incomplete" as compared to our present understanding of it. Maybe people who cross the bottoms of ladders almost always have accidents, so people back then immediately assumed that there must be something supernatural that causes those accidents. (Of course, unless he or she is rabidly superstitious, no right-thinking person would assume that it's still true. Most likely, it's caused by...tatanga-tanga lang siguro yung naaaksidente habang tumatawid sa ilalim ng mga hagdanan LOL )

But we now live in a time when science has already explained most (if not all) things that used to be mysterious to our ancestors. Babies don't get sick because of "usog" but, doctors will tell you, most likely because the baby was exposed to a virus infection or bacteria carried by a person or a thing. (Come to think of it, what's the reason behind saying "pwera usog" when visiting a baby?) Yet, for various reasons, superstitions persist because, I think, it's the easier explanation for many (if not all) of us. This is especially true in rural societies and in the provinces. Lack of access to knowledge, information and communication can sometimes contribute to us believing in superstitions.

Finally, the more important reason for me is that as a Catholic, I am not supposed to believe in superstitions. Because it resembles (and sometimes oversteps the bounds of) religion, it is a sin under the First Commandment. In the Old Testament (1 Samuel 28:325), King Saul consulted the witch of Endor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_of_Endor) so that he can talk to the ghost (not soul, mind you) of the prophet Samuel; when the prophet Samuel indeed appeared before King Saul, Samuel said that God was displeased with what the kind did, and the prophet said that as a result of this he predicted that King Saul will die in battle...which happened.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church puts it more succintly (http://www.vatican.va/archive/catechism/p3s2c1a1.htm):

III. "YOU SHALL HAVE NO OTHER GODS BEFORE ME"

2110 The first commandment forbids honoring gods other than the one Lord who has revealed himself to his people. It proscribes superstition and irreligion. Superstition in some sense represents a perverse excess of religion; irreligion is the vice contrary by defect to the virtue of religion.

[B]Superstition

2111 Superstition is the deviation of religious feeling and of the practices this feeling imposes. It can even affect the worship we offer the true God, e.g., when one attributes an importance in some way magical to certain practices otherwise lawful or necessary. To attribute the efficacy of prayers or of sacramental signs to their mere external performance, apart from the interior dispositions that they demand, is to fall into superstition.

Ang shortcut version nito na lagi kong nababanggit kapag may open discussion ako with someone tungkol sa superstition ay ganito: kung naniniwala ka sa pamahiin, para mo na ring sinasabi na merong mas malakas pa sa Diyos. Kung naniniwala ka sa pamahiin, para mo na ring sinasabi na may iba kang dinidiyos.

I know it takes time for other people to unlearn and let go of their superstitions especially if it's very much ingrained in a person's set of beliefs, but I think it's still possible. Pero out of respect for other people's sensibilities, I don't try to talk them out of believing superstitions. I only tell them where I stand only when I'm asked :)

casper89
10.02.26, 11:17 PM
Siguro sabi nga ng isang Kawikaan sa tagalog..."Ang maniwala sa sabi-sabi ay walang bait sa sarili"

Anyway superstitions? You believe in them so do you question God's omnipotence?

manoiskee
10.02.27, 12:56 AM
i believe in the invisible pink unicorn...

ehehehe...

jowk lang, baka me violent reaction...

titopao
10.03.01, 09:17 AM
Anyway superstitions? You believe in them so do you question God's omnipotence?

Ang masama pa nga noon, minsan, yung mga taong mapamahiin ay kino-confuse yung kapangyarihan ng pamahiin sa kapangyarihan ng Diyos. That's why the Catechism of the Catholic Church defines superstition as :an excess of religion"...even if the superstition does not concern Jesus or the Christian God, the devotion or belief in the superstition (i.e. superstitious act/thinking) or superstitious object (e.g. lucky charms) surpasses the level of faith that a Christian should have for God.

For example (and I know this may offend some devotees): an overzealousness for a saint may sometimes pass as "supersitious" to other people when people have an excess devotion given to a patron saint than to Jesus Christ Himself. This would sometimes reflect in the overzealous devotee's language: minsan, mas madalas pang banggitin yung pangalan ng santo kesa kay Kristo, at mas madalas pang magdasal ng nobena ng santo kesa sa magdasal kay Hesus. (Ayokong mag-cite ng specific saint, baka may ma-offend akong devotee dito :P )

ernanibaetiong
10.03.01, 09:24 AM
i believe in the invisible pink unicorn...

Nyehehe sino kaya may pakana nun? ??? Nyehehe LOL

Di lamang mga intsik madaming paniniwalang ganito, dami din sa mga katoliko kahit dito sa maynila. Pag may burol bawal magwalis, bawal maligo pag byernes santo mga ganun. Meron pa ngang isa na pag unang bisita mo daw sa isang simbahan pwede ka mag-wish ehehe, isa na siguro ito sa pinakamalupet LOL

titopao
10.03.01, 09:30 AM
@ernani: Ang kaibahan lang kasi sa Intsik, parang part na rin kasi 'yun talaga ng kanilang relihiyon, kaya hindi masyadong big deal sa kanila yung pagsunod sa mga pamahiin. Their religion is also their culture, the fine lines are very blurry.

What I do find disturbing and/or troubling is that outside of China, those of Chinese ancestry still hold on to those superstitions even if they're alread baptized Christians, Catholic or not :P

adikted1208
10.03.02, 02:46 PM
Personally, I don't believe in superstitions although medyo may fascination ako sa mga iyon. Lalo na kapag may mga taong nagku-kwento some superstitions kaya sila naniniwala..

Coolwaters
10.03.02, 03:19 PM
Maidagdag ko lang sa "superstition as an excess of religion" ay ang pagiging sobrang panatiko ng marami, bordering on paganism...

One concrete example (pasintabi po) is the belief of the devotees of the Black Nazarene na hawakan ang lubid sa karo nito tuwing procession... Naniniwala sila na kung mahawakan nila ito magkakaroon sila ng maraming biyaya...

Bawat taon na lang may namamatay sa Quiapo tuwing fiesta ng Nazareno... At sobrang ingrained na ang mga paniniwalang classified as "folk religion" sa mga devotees ng Black Nazarene.

At one point, around two years ago, correct me if I remembered it erroneously, pero pansamantalang itinigil ni Cardinal Rosales ang High Mass dahil sa commotion ng mga taong gustong makaakyat sa karo ng Nazareno... To the Cardinal's frustration, he said that efforts should be made to correct these practices. A year has passed, pero ganun pa rin... :)

Centuries of erroneous superstitious practices are already very difficult to correct... :(

titopao
10.03.02, 04:14 PM
@Coolwaters: Ayan, ikaw ang nag-mention ng specific na devotion, hindi ako :P hehehe

Seriously, now...I agree with your points about the Nazarene devotion. My sentiments exactly...mas importante pa sa (ilan, kundi man lahat sa) mga deboto yung hawakan yung lubid at makalapit sa poon at maipapunas yung mga bimpo sa poon kesa sa magdasal. I'm sure mas marami pa yung nag-aabang sa pagdaan ng Poong Nazareno kesa sa mga nagsisimba kapag naibalik na ito sa simbahan ng Quiapo. Ganito ang maling pananampalataya na parang pamahiin na kung ituturing...na, sa kasamaang palad, ay itinuturing pa ng ilan (at pinalalaki pa ng media) na "bahagi" ng pagiging Katoliko ng mga Pinoy. (Don't even get me started with the "Philippine culture" argument....)

Mabait pa nga kung tutuusin yung simbahang Katoliko kasi hindi (pa) naman ito nagsasagawa ng isang malawakang crackdown sa mga kaugalian na halos pamahiin na kung ituturing, basta ba ito ang makakatulong upang ipahayag ng mga tao ang kanilang pananampalataya. That's why the veneration of the Shroud of Turin, among others, is permitted even if the Catholic Church (local or the Vatican) doesn't have an official position on its authenticity. Pero s'yempre, kelangan bantayan din ng mga mananampalataya na hindi umabot sa pagiging pamahiin ang mga debosyon, or else it can be considered as superstition. Ganoon ang pinupunto ni Cardinal Rosales noon. Sa kasamaang palad, mukhang walang naki(ki)nig sa kanya.

Coolwaters
10.03.02, 04:45 PM
Haha! LOL

Gusto ko sanang i-mention yung about sa Sto. Nino ng Cebu... Pero nakakahiyang aminin na wala akong masyadong alam sa practices dito with regards to the festivities during the feast of the Sto. Nino aside sa Sinulog Dance Parade... :blush:

For almost 8 years now of staying here in Cebu, hindi pa ako nakaka-attend ng mga novena masses during sa fiesta ng Sto. Nino... For one, although the Sto. Nino is still Jesus, Jesus DID grow up and died on the cross... Mas komportable akong ituon ang aking pananampalataya sa Kristong nakabayubay sa krus...

Another superstition worth mentioning is yung pakontes ng mga devotees ng ibat-ibang titulo ni Virgin Mary... May mga kasamahan ako dati na hindi naniniwala sa "Our Lady of Rule" kasi mas miraculous daw ang "Our Lady of Perpetual Help"... LOL

titopao
10.03.02, 05:19 PM
Another superstition worth mentioning is yung pakontes ng mga devotees ng ibat-ibang titulo ni Virgin Mary... May mga kasamahan ako dati na hindi naniniwala sa "Our Lady of Rule" kasi mas miraculous daw ang "Our Lady of Perpetual Help"... LOL

LOL

Pero nakakalungkot isipin na umabot na sa ganong punto. Kailan pa kinailangang makipagkumpitensiya ang Birheng Maria sa sarili niya? :P

Bien
10.03.03, 09:38 AM
Iba talaga ang kulturang pilipino, yan na lang ang isipin nyo, masanay na :)

velpastrana
10.03.05, 12:34 AM
accept it our not nasa culture natin ang superstition and one way or another na aapektuhan talaga tau...pero gaano kalalim? kaya mo bang ipagwalang bahala at pabayaan ang ating mga kaibigan o ka pamilya na patuloy na maniwala?ano ang dapat gawin?

titopao
10.03.08, 08:15 AM
@velpastrana, Bien: Pero kung patuloy pa rin nating ibibigay ang "culture" argument, para na rin ninyong sniabi na walang kabuluhan lahat ng mga isinulat at isiniwalat ni Dr. Jose Rizal sa "Noli Me Tangere" at sa iba pang mga kasulatan niya ???

velpastrana
10.03.08, 08:25 PM
thanks for the info and insights it is really very helpful...especially for those who would really like to learn more on what superstition is all about..but with respect, each and everyone has its own beliefs and we dont condemn them, but better yet, let's just guide each other for the improvement of oneself

velpastrana
10.04.17, 11:57 AM
give us your views and opinions :)

markjeff
10.04.18, 11:52 AM
hmm sabi nga ni vel

mabuti na yung cautious oas sumunod kaysa naman magsisi sa huli lolz