PDA

View Full Version : Manatili Ka

LMacaranas
10.10.12, 04:53 PM
Hi to all,

Just want to know your views kung ang kantang ito ay liturgical.

May isang priest na nagsabi sa parokya namin na hindi daw kasi to liturgical mainly because of the last lyrics of the song: "ang pulang ulap ay mahahawi..."

For me kasi, except for the said last phrase of the song, the song refers to God being your refuge and rest in times of sacrifice.

Appreciate your inputs on this.

Thanks a lot in advance

titopao
10.10.13, 08:37 AM
For the nth time... :P

A song is "liturgical" ONLY IF its lyrics is integral to the part of the liturgy.

Strictly speaking, these are theonly liturgical songs: Kyrie, Responsorial Psalm (which can be recited), Alleluia/Sequence, Credo, Sanctus, Acclamation, Great Amen (which should ALWAYS be sung the whole year round), Pater Noster, Doxology (if ever), and Agnus Dei. Why only these? Because the lyrics for these are part of the liturgy of the Holy Mass. You are NOT allowed to change the lyrics of these songs.

This means that all the other songs are, technically, not part of the liturgy. The Entrance Song, the Offertory and the Communion are loosely considered parts of the liturgy of the mass, but these are in a sense optional, as the lectionary designates a certain verse that can be recited in place of a song. But any other appropriate song can be used because the words for these songs are not part of the liturgy.

Now, how about the other songs? Any other religious song, regardless of that is NOT part of any liturgy is, strictly speaking, NOT a liturgical song, regardless of the meaning or message of the song.

Kaya ang pamantayan ng pagiging "liturgical" ng isang kanta ay kung ito ba ay bahagi ng liturhiya (i.e. if it is part of the rite itself). Let me emphasize that again: it's not the message or the meaning of the song that makes it liturgical, it's about whether it is part of the actual liturgy. When in doubt, check the order of the mass without the readings, the variable prayers (such as the Prayer of the Faithful) and the other verses. All other mass parts that can be sung, they are the liturgical songs.

So in a sense....mali din ang reasoning ng pari ninyo :P

titopao
10.10.13, 08:52 AM
Dagdag na afterthought: since hindi naman talaga lahat ng religious songs ay maco-consider na liturgical, maybe it's about time to consider if we should rename this sub-forum as "Liturgical/Religious Song Discussion" instead of the very misleading "Liturgical Song Discussion" :)

My rationale is that given that not all BP songs (or any other religious song for that matter) can be technically considered liturgical, much less if appropriate for a given season, it is about time we open up the discussion about the song itself.

Besides, if you trace the discussion for most of the songs on this subforum, doon naman talaga napupunta yung usapan :P

LMacaranas
10.10.13, 10:02 AM
Dagdag na afterthought: since hindi naman talaga lahat ng religious songs ay maco-consider na liturgical, maybe it's about time to consider if we should rename this sub-forum as "Liturgical/Religious Song Discussion" instead of the very misleading "Liturgical Song Discussion" :)

My rationale is that given that not all BP songs (or any other religious song for that matter) can be technically considered liturgical, much less if appropriate for a given season, it is about time we open up the discussion about the song itself.

Besides, if you trace the discussion for most of the songs on this subforum, doon naman talaga napupunta yung usapan :P

Thanks titopao for your inputs.

But actually what I'm trying to know if the song "Manatili Ka" can be sung as a communion song.

Kasi our priest said the the "pulang ulap" means dictatorship at the time of Marcos regime. Actually, the priest that I'm referring to is a member of the Tinig San Jose. He's part of the JMM so I respect his view kaso nga lang parang di lang ako fully agree dun sa sinabi niya about this song.

titopao
10.10.13, 10:36 AM
Well..."pulang ulap" can also refer to sunset. As in, malapit nang mag-gabi. Tapos, parang hinihintay yung pagsikat ng araw ;) hehehe

Alexander
10.10.27, 09:27 AM

I will tell the webmaster to modify the title of the subforum titopao... cheers

Mas APT siguro ang "Sacred and Religious Song Discussions" kasi ginamit ang "Sacred Songs" sa Musicam Sacram