PDA

View Full Version : Santo, Santo, Santo (Ryan Cayabyab/Blessed Trinity Mass)

tuningspork
11.01.17, 12:10 AM
Hi, dito po sa version na ito ni Mr. C ng Santo, may isang part na medyo bago sa pandinig (ko, at least):

Santo, santo, santo
Panginoong Diyos ng mga hukbo
Napupuno ang langit at lupa ng kadakilaan mo
Osana, osana sa kaitaasan!
Pinagpala ang naparirito sa ngalan ng Panginoon
Osana, osana sa kaitaasan!

Sabi nung dati naming choirmaster, under debate pa raw yung "ng mga hukbo" part na yan ('di ko alam kung sino at saan nagdedebate) kaya ang ginawa ko na lang po, pinalitan ko na lang yung lyrics ng "Panginoong Diyos na makapangyarihan" na makikita sa karamihan ng mga version ng "Santo".

Tanong ko lang po kung tama ba yung move ko na palitan yung lyrics o kung ayos lang na naman po na hindi ko na pinalitan.

Sa totoo lang po, medyo nasanay na yung choir at congregation (sana!) sa nabagong version kaya okay lang naman na hindi na ulit magrevert sa original lyrics.

Salamat! :D

Sir Michael
11.01.17, 08:10 AM
Hi Anjo.

The Sanctus part of the mass is partly based on the passage from Isaiah 6:3
-> http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/isaiah/isaiah6.htm

The scriptural text is "Lord of Hosts" and when translated in Filipino is "Panginoong Diyos ng mga hukbo."
That is where Mr. Ryan Cayabyab must have based his lyrics from.

Now the I believe the current approved Filipino liturgical text is "Panginoong Diyos na makapangyarihan" and most versions of the Santo uses that phrase, so if the congregation is already used with your modified version, I see no reason to change it back, unless Mr. C wants otherwise :D

Hope this helps.

PS: In the English liturgy, the current approved liturgical text is "...Lord God of power and might." This will be changed together with the revisions in the Roman Missal in the United States by Advent this year. It will become "Lord God of hosts" to become closer to the Latin text and to reflect the scriptural basis.

titopao
11.01.17, 10:38 AM
Dagdag ko lang: in order to understand why the translation (and the original Latin text) used was "hosts" instead of "power and might", it's essential that we understand that the word "hosts" refers to a group of angels (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavenly_host). The word itself appears not just in Isaiah but in a host (no pun intended) of other Bible books (including the Revelation...check the Wikipedia article I linked, and you'll find some Bible verses where the word "host" was mentioned).

Which is why, if we have to use the literal translation, the correct Tagalog word is "hukbo", for lack of a better alternative :) It's not the Mr. C "changed" it, it's just that he used what was the word that really appeared in the Bible. (And may I add, the more Biblically correct translation at that.)

However, since Mr. C's mass already earned approval from the Archdiocese of Manila (AFAIK), I can't find any reason why you can't use it in the mass. When in doubt, magtanong-tanong sa mga tao sa inyong parokya ;)

tuningspork
11.01.17, 11:11 AM
@Sir Michael: Thanks for sharing that chapter! Ang cool! :P

@titopao: Ooh, interesting page! Makes me wonder how the forces of good and evil will fight. (I'm imagining fireballs, flaming swords, fluttering wings, beams of scorching light, and unearthly voices. Cool.)

Haha, anyway, nakita ko nga po isang beses sa missalette yung Sanctus dun na may "ng mga hukbo", so I assumed na okay lang na gamitin yung original version ni Mr. C.

Hmm, in retrospect po, mayroon nga palang Nihil Obstat at Imprimatur yung mass series na yun, so as you said, okay lang (yata) siyang gamitin in mass.

Do you think I should still revert back to the old lyrics?

titopao
11.01.17, 11:59 AM
Ang alam ko, lahat naman ng mga masses na ginawa ni Mr. C (except perhaps for the "masses" that are intended as classical music pieces and not for the mas, e.g. Mr. C's "Missa" recital piece for his BMus. degree) ay dumaan sa pagsusuri ng EDSA Shrine ministries and also dumaan sa kamay ni Bishop Soc Villegas. Di ko alam kung may specific na nihil obstat/imprimatur para sa mga misa, pero usually, you only need that to ensure that nothing in the song (specifically the lyrics) are objectionable doctrine-wise :)

tuningspork
11.01.17, 12:31 PM
Hmm, do you think I should still revert back to the old lyrics or okay na po 'to? :D

Thanks!

Sir Michael
11.01.17, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the additional information titopao. I used Isaiah because it is the scriptural annotation in a study guide of the new translation of the Roman Missal I have.

Tunigspork it seems that the original lyrics are perfectly fine, seeing that it has a biblical basis (an even more accurate one), and as titopao said was given an approval by the competent authorities. The remaining concern of course is the approval of the parish priest (kung, tulad ng dati mong choirmaster, ayaw niya yung nasa bible at gusto niya yung approved text sa sacramentary, (di naman siguro)) and the pastoral concerns. Baka masyadong nasanay na yung mga tao sa modification niyo na di niyo na mabalik, but I don't think that's the case. Kayang i-practice yan.

tuningspork
11.01.17, 01:45 PM
@Sir Michael, titopao: Thanks a bunch for your help!

Will keep that in mind. ;)

koro_si_jason
11.01.17, 09:27 PM
For me, it's good to somehow 'modify' the text, but you must (at least) try to keep what is originally written.

As what most fellows tell you, ..nakukuha naman yun sa practice.

In all other cases, I think you did nothing wrong. It's just that you made a slight change in the song.

:-)