General Musical Discussions
Discussions for all you musicians out there
(3/18):  1  2  3  4  5  13   Last »
Wilard
Regular

out of topic...I think youth today may have problems singing even the basic tune of Lupang Hinirang. Ask your teenage relatives to sing and you will notice that they will surely fail on some lines...
ernanibaetiong
Board Elder

tito pao tama po kau dun sa "fervor" wording, dahil nga subjective ay nagiging open to interpretation pa tuloy. kaya nga siguro hindi matapos ang argumento, we need better legislation and better legislators.
titopao
Board Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernanibaetiong View Post
tito pao tama po kau dun sa "fervor" wording, dahil nga subjective ay nagiging open to interpretation pa tuloy. kaya nga siguro hindi matapos ang argumento, we need better legislation and better legislators.
Yup. At this point, I would argue that it would be better to emphasize what should not be done in singing the national anthem. The law actually has something to say about it: Lupang Hinirang should not be sung with disrespect. And, personally, I'd also like to see an amendment banning the singing of the national anthem in a very, very slow tempo. Unang matatamaan dun sina Kyla, si Christian Bautista and lahat ng iba pang kumanta ng Lupang Hinirang sa mga laban ni Manny Pacquiao
We have little to no culture of healthy polemics in the country, as any attempt to consider fault is taken as a personal attack. Rare are those that are able to deal with it properly. --- Alex Tioseco (1981-2009), critic

DISSENT IS LIBERATION; NO DEMOCRACY WITHOUT DISSENT
CRITICISM IS DISCOURSE, DIALECTIC AND EDUCATION
titopao
Board Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilard View Post
out of topic...I think youth today may have problems singing even the basic tune of Lupang Hinirang. Ask your teenage relatives to sing and you will notice that they will surely fail on some lines...
Aawayin kita dito....your post is NOT off topic This thread, in my understanding, is all about the national anthem, basta anything related dito. So on-topic ka pa rin

Anyways...agree ako dito sa sinabi mo, andami na nga atang hindi nakakakanta ng LH ng maayos. Maski nga mga ordinaryong tao lang sa kalsada, pag pinakanta mo on the spot, I doubt kung ganon karami lang ang makakakanta ng LH ng tama ang lyrics.

And maski itanong mo yung title, I'm sure maraming magsasabing ang pamagat ng ating pambansang awit ay "Bayang Magiliw"
We have little to no culture of healthy polemics in the country, as any attempt to consider fault is taken as a personal attack. Rare are those that are able to deal with it properly. --- Alex Tioseco (1981-2009), critic

DISSENT IS LIBERATION; NO DEMOCRACY WITHOUT DISSENT
CRITICISM IS DISCOURSE, DIALECTIC AND EDUCATION
kumintang
Board Elder

Share ko lang ito sa inyo. Attached is my MIDI rendition of our First "Himno Nacional" (National Anthem), the "Marangal na Dalit ng Katagalugan" (1896). I made this MIDI sequence sometime in 2000.

The First Philippine National Anthem:
Marangal na Dalit ng Katagalugan

The original lyrics of Marangal na Dalit

"Historically, the present Pambansang awit (National Anthem) was not our first anthem. In 1896, Andres Bonifacio commissioned Julio Nakpil (who later married his widow Gregoria de Jesus), to compose a Himno Nacional. When Nakpil's music and lyrics were completed, the piece was entitled the Marangal na Dalit ng Katagalugan.

But because Bonifacio lost to Aguinaldo for the leadership of the revolution, we are now singing a different tune. Some people feel that the Nakpil anthem is superior to the Marcha Aguinaldo (Lupang Hinirang), citing Julian Felipe's obvious borrowings from the Spanish Marcha Real; komedya or 'moro-moro music, and the French Marseillaise."

- Ambeth Ocampo, `Why we're singing a different tune'
The Centennial Countdown, p. 266

= = = = = = = = = =

JULIO NAKPIL
KKK Secretary of Command

"Julio Nakpil (1867-1960) composed this piece -- also known as the Marangal na Dalit ng Katagalugan -- at the request of Bonifacio when they were encamped with Katipunan troops in the vicinity of Balara in November 1896. The form chosen by Nakpil, the Dalit, was traditionally a sung prayer or supplication. He remembered the hymn still being played in Cavite and Laguna in 1898, but as the history textbooks tell Aguinaldo then chose as the "National Anthem" the composition by Julian Felipe originally titled the Marcha Filipina Magdalo.

In 1903 Nakpil reworked his Marangal na Dalit ng Katagalugan as a tribute to Rizal under the title Salve, Patria, but the only surviving copies of the original score were destroyed in 1945 during the battle for Manila."

-Richardson, Jim. "Andrés Bonifacio in Cavite, February 13, 1897"
Last edited by kumintang; 09.02.15 at 03:12 PM..
Alexander
Super Moderator

kumintang,

Taga National Archives ka ba? , Grabe ang mga sources mo ha.
I am not who you think I am because I do not pretend to be somebody.
Do not assume that I know everything because I am a nobody - Alexander
kumintang
Board Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
kumintang,

Taga National Archives ka ba? , Grabe ang mga sources mo ha.

Brod Alex,
Napapadalas lang tambay ko noon sa Natl. Historical Institute at sa "Filipiniana" Section ng National Library (masarap kasi dun....aircon eh). Pero ang talagang main "source" ko ay heto: CLICK.

simba
Bonafide Boardmember

Thanks for this post Kumintang. Also thanks for the midi.

I’m suddenly reminded of a family friend Francisca Nakpil de Lange who used to call me “musiko” when I was a little boy. They also have told us greatly about the first national anthem “Marangal na Dalit…” written by her father Julio Nakpil as requested by Andres Bonifacio. She said that Gen. Aguinaldo did not endorsed it as the official anthem but instead preferred the work of his fellow Caviteño, Julian Felipe.

Inang Laya made a recording of the song. Just click the link to listen to it.

Marangal na Dalit ng Katagalugan by Inang Laya
allen lucas
Board Elder

kumintang may full score na ng 1st national anthem natin?
ernanibaetiong
Board Elder

kumintang kapatid and prof simba, truly honored to get these informations about our proud colorful and most times controversial history. maraming salamat sa posting ng dalit. i am currently writing a musical play to be shown in august to coincide with the 112th anniversary of the cry of pugadlawin/balintawak/kangkong/banlat, kayo na po bahala mamili hehe, pati historical events natin may kani-kaniyang intriga pa. gagamitin ko sigurong final piece ang dalit bilang pambansang awit, sapagkat para sa akin si bonifacio ang unang pangulo, wag sana akong makulong hehe
Reply « Previous Thread - General Musical Discussions - Next Thread »
(3/18):  1  2  3  4  5  13   Last »