General Musical Discussions
Discussions for all you musicians out there
(6/18):  « First 4  5  6  7  8  16   Last »
jigokushinigamiai
Regular

grabe yung arrangement ni sir Lucio San Pedro ang galing grabe hands down namangha ako masyado nung tinugtog yun ng pyanista namin bago aralin kinalibutan ako sobra...
bajo
Board Elder

This is Martin Nievera's version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0zvDjNYqVQ

Ito yung kakantahin niya sa Sunday sa Pacquiao Hatton Fight.

What do you think guys?
allen lucas
Board Elder

narinig ko na bajo yung version ni martin, bakit binago na naman nila yung version, naging pop na naman yung version, bakit kase madalas puro pop singer ang pinapakanta nila nito.
Paulus_Magnus
Bonafide Boardmember

Naging "pop" version nanam ang Lupang hinirang. haaaaayyy..... figures.
The more you worry, the more you'll hurry to the cemetery.
God bless you, Mama Mary loves you. Me too.

-Fatima Soriano

I am a proud member of the UNIVERSAL LIVING ROSARY ASSOCIATION and the CHILDREN OF MARY

S. Philomenae, Virgo et Martyrum, ora pro nobis!
Alexander
Super Moderator

Nagpapaka "Kano" kasi. Ginagaya ang mga taga US na "maskipap" ang version. (Meaning maski paano kantahin )
I am not who you think I am because I do not pretend to be somebody.
Do not assume that I know everything because I am a nobody - Alexander
titopao
Board Elder

Hmm...here's a challenge to everyone and anybody who's concerned with the proliferation of "pop"-fied versions of the National Anthem.

According to the Philippine Heraldic Code of 1998 (RA 8491) (i-Google n'yo na lang, it's all over the 'Net ), the National Anthem should be sung with fervor and according to the arrangement of Julian Felipe. Setting aside the debates about whether that means we should not sing it at all (bec. the original performances didn't have lyrics), or whether it should be in 2/4 or 4/4 (let's leave that to the hardcore musicologists), or whether we can sing it in languages other than Tagalog, the main point of the law is that Lupang Hinirang should be sung like a march, and with a very upbeat tempo, and not as a love song or as a "birit" pop song.

Since there are concerns about the National Anthem being mutilated by the latest pop singers, why not sue these pop singers for violating RA 8491? The grounds are good enough: the law says the singing of the National Anthem should stir fervor, and meaning it should stir a sense of pride and nationalism even to those who are not familiar with the lyrics. Singing it like a pop love song is out of the question and also provides a bad example on how to sing the National anthem. A good reference point will be the Lucio San Pedro arrangement or the Redentor Romero arrangement; both arrangements, while not ideal, are arguably much much better than any of the versions performed in Manny Pacquiao's fights.

If there are reservations about it being sung too fast, try nyo hanapin sa Google ang mga laban ni Pacquiao against some Mexicans. Pakinggan ninyo kung paano nila awitin ang kanilang pambansang awit. Chances are, mabilis ang kanta nila, at sobrang nakakapanindig-balahibo...it's so stirring it will really make you want to stand up from your chair and shout "Viva la Mexico!" Kung nagagawa ng mga Mexicans na ganoon katapang ang pag-awit ng kanilang pambansang awit, then why can't we do the same? Kung tutuusin, we do have a law to guarantee that

I'm serious. It's about time someone really does that, para matauhan ang mga pop singers (at maging si Manny Pacquiao) sa walang-habas na pagbababoy sa National Anthem. If you think that's far-fetched, think of Christian Bautista---he has to make a very public apology (on National TV) for forgetting the lyrics (I can't remember if he was fined, though.)

EBIT: O, s'ya, I've included a PDF copy of RA8192, for everyone's benefit (especially the parents, students, teachers and government workers here) Since this is a work of the Philippine government, this work is not copyrighted, so it doesn't violate the board's IP policy. Feel free to share it and pass it around. Remember, ignorance of the law excuses no one
Attached Files
File Type: zip RA08491.zip (43.9 KB, 21 views)
We have little to no culture of healthy polemics in the country, as any attempt to consider fault is taken as a personal attack. Rare are those that are able to deal with it properly. --- Alex Tioseco (1981-2009), critic

DISSENT IS LIBERATION; NO DEMOCRACY WITHOUT DISSENT
CRITICISM IS DISCOURSE, DIALECTIC AND EDUCATION
Last edited by titopao; 09.04.30 at 02:57 PM..
Paulus_Magnus
Bonafide Boardmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by titopao View Post

why not sue these pop singers for violating RA 8491?
Tama! We are citizens of the Philippines and it is our right as a Filipino to complain against these offenses against the heraldic code of our country. Pero the question is, where should we start?
The more you worry, the more you'll hurry to the cemetery.
God bless you, Mama Mary loves you. Me too.

-Fatima Soriano

I am a proud member of the UNIVERSAL LIVING ROSARY ASSOCIATION and the CHILDREN OF MARY

S. Philomenae, Virgo et Martyrum, ora pro nobis!
allen lucas
Board Elder

tama bang isama as repertoire yung national anthem natin sa isang show? for sure nung kinakanta ito ni martin sa robinson the audience don't even respect our national anthem, for sure naka upo sila at naghihiyawan.
titopao
Board Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen lucas View Post
tama bang isama as repertoire yung national anthem natin sa isang show?
Actually, there are instances where singing of the National Anthem is mandatory. Depende sa klase ng show.

Per section 98 of RA 8491, singing of the National Anthem may be done in public gatherings, but is especially mandatory on places where there are flag-raising ceremonies (such as in schools, government offices, and in public monuments with flagpoles).

Singing of Lupang Hinirang is not allowed "for mere recreation, amusement or entertainment purposes" but allows only these few exceptions:

Quote:
(a) International competitions where the Philippines is the host or has a representative; [hence, the singing of Lupang Hinirang in Manny Pacquiao's fights. Olympics are an exception, though, because the Olympics play by a different rule, where the national anthem of only the gold medalist is performed during the awarding of medals; this, if any, is one compelling reason why we should still hope for a Pinoy gold medalist in the Olympics, because we don't often hear Lupang Hinirang in an international broadcast ]

(b) Local competitions; [If your baranggay's amateur singing contest isn't doing this, then do tell your baranggay captain that Lupang Hinirang should be included in the program]

(c) During the "signing off" and "signing on" of radio broadcasting and television stations; (That's why you still see/hear it even at midnight, in case you catch the sign-off.)

(d) Before the initial and last screening of films and before the opening of theater performances;
[That's why you see it in the first screening and last full show of a movie, and also just before a show in the CCP starts]

and

(e) Other occasions as may be allowed by the [National Historical] Institute.
(when in doubt, contact the NHI and ask if you are allowed to sing the National Anthem in a program not included on this list)
I have yet to see a case where someone reported to the authorities people who are not standing up or who are not behaving accordingly when Lupang Hinirang is being sung, but at any rate don't be one of those people. Any form of disrespect for the Philippine heraldic symbols---which includes the flag, the national anthem, the national motto ("Maka-Diyos, Makatao, Makakalikasan at Makabansa"), the coat of arms, the Great Seal---is punishable by a fine not less than P5,000 and not more than P1,000,000, or by imprisonment for not more than one year, or both fine and imprisonment. It's interesting to see how one such case would play out. Any takers?

At any rate, don't be the one who's showing disrespect for the flag and the national anthem. Mas mabuting tayo ang nagse-set ng magandang halimbawa sa iba, di ba?

(Side note: hindi po kasama sa "national symbols" ang national heroes and other nonsensical "national objects" such as national animal, national bird, national food, national dance, and the like (yung mga madalas makita sa mga posters na binebenta sa---no pun intended---National Bookstore. Hindi covered ng RA 8491 ang mga ito, very specific lang ang mga bagay na nasasaklaw ng batas na ito.)
We have little to no culture of healthy polemics in the country, as any attempt to consider fault is taken as a personal attack. Rare are those that are able to deal with it properly. --- Alex Tioseco (1981-2009), critic

DISSENT IS LIBERATION; NO DEMOCRACY WITHOUT DISSENT
CRITICISM IS DISCOURSE, DIALECTIC AND EDUCATION
reksuyah
Board Elder

may accompaniment si martin nung kumanta. hindi ko gusto ang version niya. hindi nakasabay yung mga pilipino sa kanta. buti pa yung god save the queen, kumakanta lahat ng Britons.