Choirs and the Church About Choirs, singing for the Church, and other religious stuff
(1/2):  1  2  
JR Medina

Location: Immaculate Conception Parish-Vista Verde, Cainta, Rizal: Diocese of Antipolo
SONG LINE UP SUGGESTIONS

Apr 21, 2011
Holy Thursday Chrism Mass

A short catechesis on this Mass: Actually, there would be two sets of readings for Holy Thursday.

Unang set yung para sa Chrism Mass, a.k.a. Mass of the Holy Oils. This is celebrated sa mga cathedrals. (Pangalawang set ng readings yung para sa mga parishes/chapel. It is called the (Evening) Mass of the Lord’s Supper.)

This is for the first, yung Chrism Mass. Especially for those of us who serve hindi sa mga parokya/chapel, kundi sa mga katedral. Ito ay ginagawa sa cathedral o diocese lamang usually, but not absolutely, in the morning, usually but not absolutely also. More precisely written, the Chrism Mass can only be celebrated once annually, as much as possible sa cathedral/diocese, pero for special reasons, pwede rin sa ibang church na may special significance, like shrines.

At this Chrism Mass, yung mga holy oils na gagamiten ng mga individual parishes sa diocese na yaon throughout the coming year, for the sacraments of baptism, confirmation, holy orders, and anointing of the sick, and also oil for consecration of altars, shall be blessed by the bishop. The holy oil for baptism is especially the oil for catechumens (adult) and also for infants. Meron ding special na oil for the infirm/sick. Meron din chrism.

Ito rin yung Misa kung saan customarily ang mga pari ay binibigyan ng mga parishioners ng tarpauline showing a message of support, at unahan sa cathedral para makahanap ng prominenteng lugar kung saan maaaring isabit ang tarp. (I mean, at least dito samen sa Diocese of Antipolo, halos lahat ng parishes, pupunta sa Antipolo Cathedral. May cheering pa!) Hindi ko alam kung ano ang pinagmulan ng custom ng tarpaulin.

As much as possible, dapat lahat ng kaparian ng diocese na yaon at this time ay nasa cathedral. This Mass symbolizes the unity of priests with their bishop.

As a side note, kung saka-sakaling masyadong hassle ang logistics na ito, (many priests coming from far-flung parishes), if the clergy and the faithful have a difficult time gathering with the bishop on exactly Holy Thursday, the rite of the Chrism Mass can be transferred to another day, pero dapat within Holy week naman, a day near naman sa Easter.

On a parallel note, the Church recommends that every Catholic attend a Chrism Mass at least once in their lifetime.

As you will notice, all the readings for the Chrism Mass are about the priesthood. That’s symbolic: Jesus Christ instituted the Sacrament of Holy Orders/Sacerdotal Priesthood during the Last Supper. Thus: Important Concepts/Themes: Sacerdotal Priesthood, Ministry, Holy Oils
Actually, the two sacraments instituted by Christ during the Last Supper are Ordination and the Eucharist. The first would be more especially celebrated at the Chrism Mass, and the second at the Evening Mass.

Entrance:

Filipino:
1. Bayan, umawit (Borres, Baltazar & Francisco) “sapagkat ngayon ika’y pinili” is so 1R.
2. Sa Hapag ng Panginoon (Morano & Francisco)
3. Isang Pananampalataya (Santos & Hontiveros): Some will say this is too much celebration though, but, hey, it celebrates unity. Cguro tone it down a bit.

English:
1. You are a priest forever

Merong Papuri/Glory to God.

Readings:

1R: Isaiah 61:1-3, 6, 8-9 is about: The spirit of the Lord God is upon me. I am blessed because I am anointed. He has sent me to bind up the broken hearted, giving them the oil of gladness. This nation is blessed because they were chosen too.

RP: 89 “Forever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.”

2R: In Rev 1:5-8: Jesus Christ made priests for His God and Father. He has made us to be a kingdom of priests to His God and Father. I am the Alpha and the Omega, says the Lord God, the One Who is, and Who was, and Who is to come, the Almighty.

Walang aleluya.

G: Luke 4:16-21 is about Jesus in Nazareth going up to the Temple and reading the first reading above. “The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, for He sent me to bring glad tidings to the poor.” Afterwards He sat down and says that the reading is now fulfilled.

The bishop may or may not opt to wash the feet of twelve of his priests, just as Jesus washed the feet of His disciples, the first priests.

Kung meron: Washing of the Feet (W):

Filipino:

1. Pagkakaibigan (Cenzon & Abad Santos) very good choice
2. Kaibigan, kapanalig (Ofrasio & Hontiveros) also a very good choice
3. Alay (Ateneo Boys’ Choir)
4. Alay (Valdez)
5. Pananagutan (Hontiveros)
6. Sa Dapit-Hapon (Tabuena & Hontiveros)
7. Sino kayo? (Javellana & Que)

English:

1. So the love of God (Schutte)
2. You are mine (Haas)
3. Holy Darkness (Schutte)
4. Empty Space (Go & Francisco)

Presentation of the Gifts:

Filipino:
1. Narito ako (San Andres)
2. W3 if not used as offertory song
3. W4 if not used as offertory song
4. Narito ako, Panginoon (Que)

English:
1. One Bread, 1 Body (Foley)
2. Blessed be God
3. By Flowing Waters (Ford)

After the Preface and then Santo/Sanctus, the Oil of the Sick (oleum infirmorum) is blessed.

Communion:
Filipino:
1. Panunumpa (Gonzales)
2. Patnubay (Cuyugkeng, Caguioa, Sta Maria, La Vina)
3. Sa ‘Yo Lamang (Borres, Gan & Francisco)
4. Sa ‘Yong piling (Castro & Villaroman)

English:
1. Here I am Lord (Schutte)
2. I hear my name (Francisco)
3. Anima Christi (Arboleda)
4. One thing I ask (Tirol)

The Oil of Catechumens (oleum catechumenorum / oleum sanctorum) is then blessed.

The Chrism (sacrum chrisma) is next consecrated.

Recessional:

Filipino:
1. Pari Magpakailanman
2. Paring Pilipino
3. Tanda ng Kaharian ng Diyos (Morano & Francisco) is reminiscent of the Introit’s “kingdom of priests” and 2R.
4. E3 if not used as entrance song.

English:
1. Save us, O Lord (Dufford)

NB Please be reminded again that the readings for the Evening Mass of the Last Supper are a different set of readings.
Last edited by JR Medina; 11.02.26 at 08:19 AM..
nlim
Bonafide Boardmember

I don't know about that tradition about hangin tarpauline for your parish priest , we have sang for the Chrism mass twice but never seen one of this. Sometimes thatvwill be too unfair sa mga paring malalayo ang parokya.Since this is a grand celebration for the renewal of vows we have sang all the mass in Latin - Mass in F by Battman and Joseph Concone, will surely contribute for the solemnity of the celebration. Washing of the feet is only done during the Last supper mass, never seen a Chrism mass with this. Pero ngayon, they have always organized a diocesan choir to sing for this occasion
NLim

Philippines & OZ
titopao
Board Elder

@JR: I agree with nlim, I don't think there's such a thing as a "tradition" with the tarpaulin. Most likely, pinauso lang yan sa diocese ninyo a few years back and, dahil sa pinagagawa ito taon taon mula nang naumpisahan, ay naisip ng ibang tao na "tradisyon" na kaagad. (Not to mention, hindi naman uso ang tarpaulin 20, 30 years ago )

Didiretsuhin na kita: hindi ko alam kung sinong pantas sa diocese ninyo ang nakaisip niyan, but that kind of practice reeks of vanity and pride. Tapos sa misa pa ginagawa, and with that kind of cheering in what should be a solemn mass, maingay pa, nakakasira sa solemnity ng misa. I don't think showing your support to priests have to be done using such ostentatious manner.
We have little to no culture of healthy polemics in the country, as any attempt to consider fault is taken as a personal attack. Rare are those that are able to deal with it properly. --- Alex Tioseco (1981-2009), critic

DISSENT IS LIBERATION; NO DEMOCRACY WITHOUT DISSENT
CRITICISM IS DISCOURSE, DIALECTIC AND EDUCATION
poknat20
Bonafide Boardmember

Madagdag ko lang, maganda din yung "As I have done for you" of Dan Schutte for washing of the feet.
to break faith with You.. is to be no one..
clare_smiles
Regular

Songs for the Chrism Mass, Posted 12.03.28 #5
hello.. pwede po ba ako manghingi ng song line up sa chrism mass this year?
eh, kasi first time ng choir namin na kakanta nito. i don't know the exact songs talaga. salamat po. holy tuesday ang chrism mass namin dito sa pagadian.
__Hangad ko'y Hangarin Kita Panginoon KO!! <3
vic_romero
Bonafide Boardmember

Re: SONGS FOR THE CHRISM MASS, Posted 12.03.28 #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by clare_smiles View Post
hello.. pwede po ba ako manghingi ng song line up sa chrism mass this year?
eh, kasi first time ng choir namin na kakanta nito. i don't know the exact songs talaga. salamat po. holy tuesday ang chrism mass namin dito sa pagadian.
text ng mga dasal at salmo sa Misa ng Chrisma
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ford-Paul-Chrism-Mass-Texts.pdf (73.7 KB, 24 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vic_romero For This Useful Post:
kuyavic

Re: Songs for the Chrism Mass, Posted 12.06.17 #7
pwede po bang makahingi nung attached file via email? di ko pa ma-download. thank you po. victor po from the diocese of paranaque
Alexander
Super Moderator

Re: Songs for the Chrism Mass, Posted 12.06.18 #8
@kuyavic,

Bilang "newbie" po ay limitado ang inyong "access" upang makapag "download". Sa atin din pong "message board" ay mayroong tayong sistema ng "promotion" upang hikayatin ang mga kasapi na sumali sa mga talakayan subalit binibigyan ng patnugot at babala ang mga naglalagay ng mga "spam posts".

Ang mga kasapi ay binibigyang halaga ito sapagkat sila din ay nagdaan dito. Kaya aking iminumungkahi na gawin din ang tulad nito upang tayo ay makapag-"download".

Isa pa rin pong bagay; mayroon tayong tamang "forum" upang mag "request" at ang "thread" na ito ay hindi akma para po tayo ay humingi.

Kung nais po natin na mas lalong maintindihan ang mga gabay at patakaran, maari lang po sanang basahin natin ang mga panuntunan (rules and regulations) at mga gabay (guidelines) sa iba't-ibang "forums" dito sa ating munting tahanan sa "internet"

Sana po ay makatulong.

PS.... dalawa na pala kayong Kuya Vic... ang una po ay si vic_romero...
I am not who you think I am because I do not pretend to be somebody.
Do not assume that I know everything because I am a nobody - Alexander
JR Medina

Location: Immaculate Conception Parish-Vista Verde, Cainta, Rizal: Diocese of Antipolo
Apr 17, 2014
Holy Thursday Chrism Mass

Liturgical Color: White

A. Short Catechesis

Dalawa ang set of readings para sa araw ng Huwebes Santo. The first is for the Chrism Mass. The second is for the Evening Mass of the Lord’s Supper. I’ll discuss the first here.

Also known as the Mass of the Holy Oils, it is celebrated sa mga cathedrals. Minsan sa mga shrines. Not sa parish, nor sa chapel. Diocesan level ito. Isang beses lang sa isang taon ang misang ito. The holy oils to be used by the entire diocese throughout the year are blessed at this Mass. To be blessed by the Bishop are those that will be used sa sacraments.

Madaming kaparian from different parishes within a diocese ang present dito. They show unity with and support for their bishop. For our part, the laity: attend this Mass at least once in your life.

All the readings are about the priesthood. During the first Holy Thursday, when Jesus had the Last Supper, Jesus instituted the sacrament of Holy Orders—one of the two which He had instituted then. (The other is the Eucharist.) We most especially commemorate that priesthood and chosen-ness in this Mass.

Merong Papuri/Luwalhati sa Diyos sa Kaitaasan.

Walang Aleluya.

After the Preface and then Santo/Sanctus, the Oil of the Sick (oleum infirmorum) is presented and blessed.

After Communion, the Oil of Catechumens (oleum catechumenorum / oleum sanctorum) is then blessed.

The Chrism (sacrum chrisma) is next consecrated.

B. Readings

1R: Isaiah 61:1-3, 6, 8-9 is about: The spirit of the Lord God is upon me. I am blessed because I am anointed. He has sent me to bind up the broken hearted, giving them the oil of gladness. This nation is blessed because they were chosen too.

RP: 89 “Forever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.”

2R: In Rev 1:5-8: Jesus Christ made priests for His God and Father. He has made us to be a kingdom of priests to His God and Father. I am the Alpha and the Omega, says the Lord God, the One Who is, and Who was, and Who is to come, the Almighty.

G: Luke 4:16-21 is about Jesus in Nazareth going up to the Temple and reading the first reading above. “The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, for He sent me to bring glad tidings to the poor.” Afterwards He sat down and says that the reading is now fulfilled.

C. Suggestions for Songs

Filipino:

E.
1. Ang Espiritu ng Panginoon (Vinteres)
2. Bayan, umawit (Borres, Baltazar & Francisco) “sapagkat ngayon ika’y pinili” is so 1R. Priests: God chose you, not the other way around.
3. Hesukristo, ‘Yong Pakinggan
4. Sa Piging Na Handog (Carlos, Villaroman)
5. Purihin at Ipagdangal (Bautista)
6. Pambungad na Awit (Hontiveros)

Use the Verse Before the Gospel. Consult the thread about Lenten Gospel Acclamation in lieu of alleluia.

1. Papuri sa 'Yo, O Kristo Hesus, Hari ng kaluwalhatiang walang hanggan!
2. Papuri at Parangal sa Iyo, Panginoong Hesukristo!
3. Luwalhati at Papuri sa Iyo, Panginoong Hesukristo!
4. Luwalhati sa Iyo, Salita ng Diyos, Panginoong Hesukristo!

The bishop might or might not opt na mag-foot spa.

Washing of the Feet (W):
1. Alay (Valdez)
2. Kaibigan, kapanalig (Ofrasio & Hontiveros)
3. Pagkakaibigan (Cenzon & Abad Santos)
4. Sa Dapit-Hapon (Tabuena & Hontiveros)
5. Sino kayo? (Javellana & Que)

P of the G:
1. Alay Kapwa (Tinio, Hontiveros) Best choice.
2. Isang Pagkain, 1 katawan, 1 bayan (San Pedro) also celebrates that the Church is one, holy, catholic and apostolic.
3. Kung ‘Yong Nanaisin (Francisco) Another very good choice.
4. Narito ako (San Andres)
5. Narito ako, Panginoon (Que)
6. Paghahandog ng Sarili (Ofrasio & Hontiveros)
7. Paghahandog ng Sarili (Arboleda & Francisco)
8. Panginoon, narito ako (Isidro & Que)

Presentation and Blessing of Oils (PBO): Hesukristo, ‘Yong Pakinggan

C:
1. Ang Kaluluwa Ko’y Nauuhaw (Isidro, Que)
2. Ang Mabuting Pastol (Hontiveros)
3. Ang Panginoon ang aking Pastol (Isidro & Ramirez) and its variations.
4. Antipona para sa Pakikinabang O Komunyon (Hontiveros)
5. Awit ng Paghahangad (Cenzon)
6. Huwag kang mangamba (Pagsanghan & Francisco)
7. Huwag mabalisa (Clasanz & Hontiveros)
8. Nang Buo Kong Buhay (Alejo, Hontiveros)
9. Panunumpa (Gonzales)
10. Patnubay (Cuyugkeng, Caguioa, Sta Maria, La Vina)
11. Sa ‘Yo Lamang (Borres, Gan, Francisco)
12. Sino kayo? (Javellana & Que)
13. Sa ‘Yong Piling (Castro, Villaroman)
14. Sa Diyos Lamang Mapapanatag (Isidro, Que)

R:
1. Pananagutan (Hontiveros)
2. Pari Magpakailanman
3. Paring Pilipino
4. Sa Batong Ito (Justiniano, Tolentino, Agatep, Sorioso)

English:

E:
1. Priestly People (Deiss)
2. Save Us, O Lord (Dufford)
3. The Spirit of God (Deiss)

Tanggalin ang Alleluia. Use the verse before the Gospel.

1. Praise to You, Lord Jesus Christ, king of endless glory!
2. Praise and honor to You, Lord Jesus Christ!
3. Glory and praise to You, Lord Jesus Christ!
4. Glory to You, O Word of God, Lord Jesus Christ!

W:
1. As I have done for you (Schutte) Best choice.
2. Empty Space (Go & Francisco)
3. Holy Darkness (Schutte)
4. So the love of God (Schutte)
5. You are mine (Haas)

P of the G:
1. One Bread, 1 Body (Foley)
2. Prayer for Generosity (Arboleda)
3. Prayer of Rupert Mayer (Francisco)
4. Take and Receive
5. Take, Lord, Receive (Foley)
6. Take Our Bread (Wise)
7. To Be Your Bread (Haas)

PBO: Oil of Gladness (McKerneay)

C:
1. Anima Christi (Arboleda)
2. Come with Me Into the Fields (Schutte)
3. Here I am Lord (Schutte)
4. I hear my name (Francisco)
5. Like a shepherd (Dufford)
6. One thing I ask (Tirol)
7. Only in God (Foley)
8. Pastorale (Francisco)
9. Splendor and Honor (Hampton)
10. Your Faithfulness and Love (Aquino)
11. P of the G3 if not used for Offertory

R:
1. You are a priest forever
2. E2 if not used as entrance song

Please be reminded again that the Evening Mass of the Lord's Supper, although it falls on this same day (Holy Thursday), has a different set of readings.
Last edited by JR Medina; 14.01.03 at 06:49 AM..
d0d0fer
Bonafide Boardmember

I think this is an obsolete thread already. I will repost your suggested lineup for Holy Thursday Chrism Mass in the proper thread whose link is below.

http://bukaspalad.com/board/showthread.php?p=159702
Human beings, they're quite a paradox. At first glance they're so primitive: genetic impurities, no telepathy, violent, and yet they've created so many beautiful ways to convey their ideas - literature, art, music. [#98 In the Flesh]

I Stand With You
I Saw You Coming In