Choirs and the Church About Choirs, singing for the Church, and other religious stuff
(1/20):  1  2  3  11   Last »
titopao
Board Elder

Apparently, lumampas pala ito sa aking radar Since I'm sure this is of interest to everyone, I've decided to share this information as a public service

The Congregation for Divine Worship and Discipline of the Sacraments---the Commission on Liturgy of all Commissions on Liturgy in the whole Church---has given its recognitio for the new English translation of the Holy Mass. The translation was deemed necessary because the present translation we are familiar with was deemed too unrelated to the original Latin text of the Mass.

The Roman Missal - New English Translation (information page)
The Recognitio letter by Francis Cardinal Arinze
Complete text of the new English translation

What does the recognitio mean? That means that the present work of the committee assigned to do this retranslation---Bishop Rolando Tria Tirona, OCD, DD of the Diocese of Infanta (Quezon province) is a member---has gained the Vatican approval, and may likely be published intact in its present form with little changes (if any). As yet, there is no available information about the new translation in the CBCP website, but the text of the new translation is made freely available (for study purposes only) at the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) As stated, the PDF files of the new English translations are available on the link above (under "Parts of the Order of the Mass").

Per Cardinal Arinze, Dean of the Congregation (see the PDF copy of his letter on the link above), the new translation is binding, but is not yet to take effect immediately, the reason being that the Congregation has deemed it necessary to give time to everyone concerned---priests, deacons and laity---to prepare themselves for this change. Tatagalugin ko: ibig sabihin nito, kapag napagkasunduan na kung kailan gagamitin ang bagong translation na ito, ito na ang gagamitin sa pagmimisa sa wikang Ingles, bawal nang gamitin yung ginagamit natin ngayon.

Currently, there's no date---yet---on when the new translation will be used...but why wait for that date when we already have the translation with us? So don't panic, do take your time and study the new translations (memorize them, if you wish). Para at least, hindi na kayo mabibigla pag nagprint na sila ng new version ng Roman Missal in English in, say, 2009 or 2010 or whenever

Please feel free to share this information---including all the links I provided---to anyone who might be interested, specially to members of commissions of liturgy in parishes where masses are said in English. Mas mabuting alam nilang lahat this early na mababago yung English translation ng Holy Mass habang maaga pa

Additional resources:
*Ten Questions on the Revised Translation - the most important questions answered.
*Notes on the New Translation on the Roman Missal - also an FAQ
Principles of Translating the Roman Missal - explains why it was translated, and what factors were considered
*[PDF File]Changes in the parts of the people - a must read!!! Contains the current text side by side with the new translation.
*[PDF File]Changes in the parts of priests - not applicable to us laypersons, but may be of interest
We have little to no culture of healthy polemics in the country, as any attempt to consider fault is taken as a personal attack. Rare are those that are able to deal with it properly. --- Alex Tioseco (1981-2009), critic

DISSENT IS LIBERATION; NO DEMOCRACY WITHOUT DISSENT
CRITICISM IS DISCOURSE, DIALECTIC AND EDUCATION
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to titopao For This Useful Post:
Koenji

Thanks, titopao for sharing.

If ever some response songs will be changed using the revised texts like Kyrie, Glory to God, Sanctus and Acclamation. Should be considered by liturgical songs composers if they're planning to compose new response songs I think.
Our Hearts in Praise Charity Concert
Calling All Families Charity Concert
sjclc
Board Elder

Hmm. from what I've noticed parang Gloria lang yung nagkaroon ng major makeover. The other responses just had some very little changes and the Pater Noster was left unchanged.

My blog: http://azwc.blogspot.com/ | http://eowpo.multiply.com/
Blog currently inactive. It's a little messy with my random thoughts, but if you can bear the madness, please comment, or at least, follow :D
titopao
Board Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjclc View Post
Hmm. from what I've noticed parang Gloria lang yung nagkaroon ng major makeover. The other responses just had some very little changes and the Pater Noster was left unchanged.
This may seem trivial, but some of the "minor" changes---such as reverting "And also with you" to the pre-Vatican II "And with your spirit"---did cause a great stir in the US, even if it was just a short line.

I won't go over the details, but one of the criticisms I read said something like, bakit kailangan pang ibalik sa "old-style" na translation yung ibang parts ng mass.

Since the Congregation on the Divine Worship and Discipline of the Sacraments already gave its approval, such criticisms will be rendered moot and academic

I doubt that they will even consider changing "Pater Noster". Otherwise, they might as well go all the way and retranslate the entire Bible, di ba? hehehehehe
We have little to no culture of healthy polemics in the country, as any attempt to consider fault is taken as a personal attack. Rare are those that are able to deal with it properly. --- Alex Tioseco (1981-2009), critic

reksuyah
Board Elder

old style nga to... bakit kaya binalik yung dati? this gives me a feeling that our Church is moving backwards. Naandun na naman yung "mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa." kailangan bang i-highlight ang aking pagiging makasalanan? yun ang criticism ng ibang christian denomination sa ting Katoliko, we focus too much on our sinfulness. anyway, ano pa nga magagawa natin nandyan na.
Milliardo
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by titopao View Post
This may seem trivial, but some of the "minor" changes---such as reverting "And also with you" to the pre-Vatican II "And with your spirit"---did cause a great stir in the US, even if it was just a short line.

I won't go over the details, but one of the criticisms I read said something like, bakit kailangan pang ibalik sa "old-style" na translation yung ibang parts ng mass.
It has a lot to do with the translation. A lot were not happy with the translation of "And also with you". I am not good in Latin, but the Latin has always been "And with your spirit". Even the Latin text of the Novus Ordo has it as "And with your spirit". When it was translated into English, for some reason it was changed to "And also with you". It also has much to do with the priest as representing Christ; in essence, to say, 'And with your spirit" means you are addressing it to Christ, not to the priest as it would be with "And also with you". Incidentally, in the Orthodox Church we still respond, "And with your spirit".
titopao
Board Elder

Heads up...the US Conference of Catholic Bishops put up a new website that has more information about the new English translation.

They also included a page including samples of the new translations for both the people's parts and the priests' parts. You can read all the samples through this link:

http://www.usccb.org/romanmissal/examples.shtml

I posted one sample elsewhere (re Memorial Acclamation). Eto pa mga samples:

* GREETING
Current version
Priest: The Lord be with you.
People: And also with you.

New translation
People: And with your spirit. [i.e. literal translation of the original Latin et cum spirito tuo]

* EUCHARISTIC PREFACE
Current version
People: And also with you.
Priest: Lift up your hearts.
People: We lift them up to the Lord.
Priest: Let us give thanks to the Lord our God.
People: It is right to give him thanks and praise.

New translation
People: And with your spirit.
Priest: Lift up your hearts.
People: We lift them up to the Lord.
Priest: Let us give thanks to the Lord our God.
People: It is right and just.

* AGNUS DEI
Current version
Priest: This is the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world.
Happy are those who are called to his supper.

All: Lord, I am not worthy to receive you,
but only say the word and I shall be healed.

New translation
Priest: Behold the Lamb of God, behold him who takes away the sins of the world.
Blessed are those called to the supper of the Lamb.
All: Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof,
but only say the word and my soul shall be healed. (NB: New translation is actually taken from the Bible.)

According to the FAQ, wala pang set na date kung kailan ito magte-take effect. The examples are provided for catechetical purposes, and also to help priests, lay ministers and composers with regard to the changes (that is, para handa na sila). Kaya, 'wag mag-panic, hindi pa kaagad magbabago ang English mass...pero mas magandang alam na ninyo kaagad ang mga pagbabago para hindi kayo mabigla

knightdom
Bonafide Boardmember

parang ganyan din kasi ang ginagamit sa tridentine mass (latin nga lang ang response), so i think tama na yan ang gamitin sa responses

i remember during the last supper part may responses din na:

"My Lord and My God" - pag tinaas yung Host

"Be mindful o Lord Thy creature whom You have redeemed by Your most precious blood" - pag tinaas yung cup
See me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

God's Flock Choir Abu Dhabi UAE UAE / GCC job vacancies also shared on this page

Open my eyes so that I may see the opportunities to offer someone a helping hand, an encouraging word, an ear to listen. Lead me to where I am needed. Amen.
Emerald
Board Elder

bakit po kaya pabago.bago?
titopao
Board Elder

@Emerald: Ang thrust kasi ni Pope Benedict ay itama yung mga nakitang mga naging mali sa iba-ibang translation ng misa sa iba-ibang wika. Ilang taon na rin kasing napuna na marami sa mga ni-translate sa Ingles ay sobrang malayo sa orihinal nitong Latin. Ang totoo niyan, ilang taon na ring pinaghirapan ng mga pari, obispo at mga iskolar ang proyektong ito, ngayon lang sila nakapaglabas ng resulta.

Pero 'wag mag-alala, gaya nga ng sinabi sa website ng USCCB ay wala pa namang petsa kung kailan gagamitin ang bagong translation na ito. Hindi pa ito gagamitin kaagad. Nilabas lang ng ganito kaaga para ma-familiarize ang lahat ng mga tao sa mga gagawing pagbabago. Siguro, safe na'ng sabihin na hindi rin ito magagamit sa susunod na taon at maging sa isa pang taon siguro