Highlights of the Musician's Meeting with Fr. Nilo:
1. 10 out of 27 choirs serving the Edsa Shrine attended the meeting. Warnings will be given for those groups who do not send their musical directors/accompanists. Representatives were not allowed to attend the said meeting since the meeting is strictly for the Musical directors/accompanists who play very important role in selecting the line-up.
2. All accompanists are highly encouraged to use the pipe organ instead of the clavinova. Free lessons will be given for those interested. (Froilan, let me know if any of the bpocc accompanists would like to avail of the free lesson)
3. Singing of Christmas Line-up songs is up to the 3rd Sunday of January 2009. Hence BPOCC's next service will still fall under Christmas Season.
4. Musical Director should strictly follow the guidelines especially with the line-up. There are already line-up songs for every liturgical Season. You can inquire with the office. If there are songs that BPOCC would like to sing, score sheets should be submitted in advance for approval of Fr. Nilo.
5. It is encouraged that Regular weekday masses with more than 1 choir on its slot should have somehow similar line-up so that the congregation can sing. For example: Yung Friday Mass ang regular choir talaga ay yung Legion Choir. But since the Legion Choir has given one of its slot (every other 2nd Friday of every other month) to BPOCC, it means na 2 choirs ang kumakanta sa Friday 7pm masses. One is the Legion Choir who sings regularly and another is the BPOCC who sings at a definite schedule. Since the congregation who attends the Friday mass is more acquainted with the Legion Choir's regular line-up, it is expected that the BPOCC will somehow check and consult with the Legion choir and sing some of their repertoire so that the congregation will be able to sing. This rule follows when a choir is not available on a certain service and another choir will take place, thus the choir who will take place must consult with the repertoire of the other choir. (Froilan, kindly coordinate with Legion choir as to their repertoire and consider singing some of their songs to include in your January 9 service)
6. There will be Free Classes on Liturgical Music (ARchidiocesan Institute for Liturgical Music) for all choir members/directors serving the Edsa Shrine starting this November 29, 2008 (Saturday) from 1pm - 5pm at San Carlos Seminary. This is originally with registration fee but it is waived for all the Edsa Shrine servers including BPOCC. It will be a 12 week module which will run until February 2009. There will be 3 classes: basic, intermediate and advance. Includes lessons on General guidelines in Liturgical Music, solfeggios, note readings, arranging and composing of liturgical music including choir conducting.
BPOCC members, since this is free, i encourage everyone to grab this opportunity to attend the class.
"He who sings well.. prays twice!" - St. Augustine